News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Safety Gear - What do you recommend?

Started by MadXX, October 28, 2003, 01:03:42 PM

TZDeSioux

SD,
Probably a good idea to take the band off when racing. I have this weird feeling that the next time I crash the pavement is going to grind down my gloves at that exact area and turn my band into a little ring blade and chop my finger off.  :-/ Scary cuz I won't be able to throw gang signs on street corners anymore.

Super Dave

LOL!

I used to work for a company that sold, serviced, and rented golf cars.  Lots of them are electric.  Once, the owner accidently got his finger too close to a + and - set of battery posts...36v of power through his finger.  Ballooned up real big very quickly.  BLEH!  It looked pretty sick... :-X
Super Dave

Dawn

Paul fell off his snowmobile and landed on the blacktop.  His hand hit the blacktop first.  His wedding ring split in two and pinched into his finger (kinda like a c-clip).  We had to use a needle nose plyers to bend it out.  VERY PAINFULL.

He doesn't wear his ring anymore.  (Then again neither do I  :o  except for on special occasions)

Dawn   :)

r6_philly

QuoteAlpinestar GP Pro gloves are good. One good crash on them and not a scratch. Although I did notice that there is a whole where my wedding band is from the friction.

A different story here, our endurance teamate crashed at T-7 uphill at VIR, relatively slow speed, but the knuckle protection was totally worn, and only half layer of leathers were left before his knuckles would be on the ground. I was going to get the GP Pro's, but after that, I decided not to

MadXX

Thanks everyone for the info.

Looks like I was somewhat close with some and off on others.  

I am getting the impression that Vansons are the leathers of choice 8)

Am going for the Bohn.  If I dont like it it'll be in the classifieds.  ;D

Still on the fence about the SIDI or Oxtar boots.  I kind of like them both and both have good reviews.  Daytona's are too rich for my blood at 2x the price.

I am gonna try the held gloves.  Seems that there is no consensus on this item.

I am also going to see if I can check out the arai and Suomy helmets along with the standard shoei.  I want a plain one anyway so I dont knock up my pretty street helmet.

Alexa I would like to take you up on that offer of measurements.  I was looking to remove a little more padding before getting measured but it would bug me to no end to be ready to go but have no leathers next year.  I will give you a call.

Thanks again everyone.  Feel free to keep the suggestions coming as I haven't slapped down the credit card yet.

stickman

I had some nice crashes this season (4 to be exact, 1 broken collar bone, 3 cracked ribs) and can't speak highly enough for my equipment. All of it did a great job in protecting me and they are holding up great.

Leathers: Kobe Carbon Stars. Very thick, heavy leather. Holding up great after lots of sliding and tumbling. Pays contingency. Will buy them again, can't beat the price of $699 either.

Boots: Alpinestar Super Tech. Very comfortable, great protection, great feel for the levers. Barely a scratch on them. Highly recommended. About $300, definitly will buy them again.

Gloves: Kobe. Comfortable, great protection. I love these gloves, about $135, will buy again.

Back protector: Bohn Pro Racer. Barely know it's there, seems to do the job. $160. Love them, recommend and will buy again.

Helmet: HJC AC-11. Never really hit my head with direct impact, just some scrape marks here and there. Not too thrilled with the fit, probably try something else next time. Only paid about $140 from helmetshop.com

spyderchick

QuoteI've head 2 Syed suits and they've both been excellent. I'm still (occasionally) using the one I bought in '93 (yes, 1993). And it has been crash-tested several times and repaired once.

Syed has a good price point, but they TIE & GLUE IN a majority of the armor, not an easy repair, especially the shoulder area. I wish they woukd either go to pockets, or a velcro system. Velcro would actually be easiest for them with all the customs they do.

I still wouldn't wear the back protector provided with all Vanson's. They come apart at the rivets, and the "turtle shell" comes undone. I've seen this on at least 70% of the Vanson suits that have come through here.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".