My Daytona Trip

Started by r6_philly, October 20, 2003, 09:39:27 PM

r6_philly

ok after looking forward to Daytona for months after a very hard season, I arrived at Dayton. My bike was in question and so was I.

Only made 1 practice session on Thurs. Got killed by my team mate, and did a best of 2:14. A far cry from my spring times, I guess the crashes and injuries does have big effects.

So changed a few things around and end up doing 2:08's in Fri's GT races. 17th in GTO and 12th GTU. I got throughly disgusted with myself. We went out to the beach and bar hopped on Main street. Felt a little better, at least the vacation part was ok.

Come Sat, changed gearing again in the morning (my bike was getting killed on the exits and straights) and immediately went to a 2:05. I thought I had a shot at something. Checked the grids and I was on the outside for every race.

When Sportbike flag dropped, I round the outside and just couldn't push myself into the cluster in turn 1. End up coming out of turn 1 about 8th or 9th I Think. Worked my way around the mid-pack guys and by then the lead group was all gone. I tried to catch up and made little progress. Wasn't much to fend off behind me, and I finished a 6th.

Middle superbike is the same story. Outside start, came round on lap 1 7th. Fought off who I thought was the same guy and finished another lonely 6th. I had the lead group in sight down the back straight but no way was I going to close the gap.

I entered 6 races and only finished 4. in MWSS we (teamate and I) didn't hear the third call and missed the grip by about 5 seconds.

In MWGP, I got a better start, came around about 5th. Fought off Don Kelley and was setting my sight on the lead group (much closer this time). Came around on lap 1, full speed down the tri-oval when my motor just dies. I frantically moved my hand around knowing someone was right behind me. Pull in the clutch and coasted below the apron on the inside of turn 1. Bike starts again. But didn't know if I blew the motor, or had some fluid leakage, and didn't want to endanger myself of anyone else, I pulled into the pits. My best race of weekend, and last, was gone. I think I could have fought for a podium spot, but hey, we will live another day to fight for another race. I think I was fortunate enough not get run over, and I am very saddened that someone else didn't.

All in all, a very dissapointing weekend. But thinking about every that happened this year, to come back from really bad injuries and crashes, and still have all my limbs and mobility, can ride again, and went to race with the best of the country and finished a pair 6th place, I am pretty happy, especially know what crappy equiptment I can manage to scrape up.

Congrats to the champions. It was a shame to see Meyers not able to compete for more, it was really a shame to see Hector get all messed up ( I was rooting for him for a couple of wins).

Sorry benji that I didn't provide any challange this weekend. I really wanted to, but the first time when a certain 03 R6 pulled away with me in the draft, I know my weekend was going to be a long one. My skills weren't enough to make up for it, and I was not really competitive. Hope to race with all of you next year, and maybe I can be right there with you guys.

GTO: 17th
GTU: 12th
MWSS: DNS
Sportbike: 6th
MWSB: 6th
MWGP: DNF

Looking forward to being an Expert and race the FUSA series next year.

Now, onto the bike hunting :D

smoke

ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!! ;D

You, and all the others ( Donny,Bill, Hector,Peanut, Ryan)  reped the MA Well!     Thank YOU All!!!!!!!!
Glad that all went ok for the most part.

How is Hector doing? I was  :o to see him only place in one race.

MELK-MAN

didnt meet ya r6philly but glad you came out with some good things happening.. this place can be brutal. I went off in the kink while running 2nd in teh mw gtu, where Hector wadded his bike earlier and thats all i had flashing in my brain as i got to the tracks edge.. saved it thank after dirt bikin all the way to the horse shoe and eventually finsihed 3rd.
For what its worth, i bought a 2003 r6 this weekend. I have a feelings its one bad ass bike. The brand new 636 i was riding is for sale..he has 15k in it and is asking $9500
Hope we all meet up soon.
greg
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

lil_thorny

dafan,
you finished. period. most of us can say that we survived Daytona. that alone is a victory in my eyes.
you did well, but like i said in an earlier thread, being
up front was key. only a handful of us were running
2min times and unless you were near those fortunate
like myself and Bill, and Ned, you had no chance.
Jorge was the man. He was gridded too far back tho.
I was underpowered like yourself, but I made a point
to charge the front early.... and I got lucky too. I just
heald my breath going into T1 and held my line then
smoked em on the brakes into the international.
then it was all drafting by Ned after that. Man we had some awesome battles. It sucked that we had to leave by 6pm.......because from 7am - 6pm we were working on the bike. didn't have much time to meet all of you. partied with Donny a little Sun. that was fun. We met Scott Russel....too cool. Hopefully we can hang some next year maybe at Barber....or if I make it to Daytona...we'll see.
anyway good job again,
Benji. # 30

Super Dave

Good job, guys.

Going to Daytona to compete is special.  To show up is good.  Lots don't.  

And as I told the guy who's bike I rode for him, "Daytona sucks unless you win...and even then..."

It's just hard.  Nice feeling of satisfaction regardless.
Super Dave

lil_thorny

it really is special, at no other place or time was
i more nervous than friday morning.
Russ (my pit bich) looked at me and said" you don't
look so good"
I told him " dude, i gotta go to the bathroom"
so i promptly relieved the contents of my stomach into the toilette.
but after making it thru T1 in the GTU, at the start,
it was all good.
Benji.

r6_philly

I had a mental block trying to get a good start there. I kind of backed off going in, and only got through comfortably. I know I needed to be up front, but self-preservation is something that I couldn't combat well enough. In the spring time I got a holeshot front the 3rd or 4th row. This time I couldn't do squat. I really didn't want to get hit, or crash, or get hurt again.

Thumbs up to all of you that finished in front, and behind me. It takes courage to compete at Daytona. I love that track, and I know so many who doesn't. But when the flag drops, many more of you gave it more than I did, and I respect you all for it.

It is a shame I couldn't keep up and race with the 5 of you, I looked forward to that all year and didn't bring it...

After my bike died, I just packed up and left quickly, wasn't really in the mood. I really had a chance to keep up in that race and my bike blew it, I guess I just didn't have it.

I will be back in spring trying overcome this weekend. Going to get a new R6, a new number :D and start anew. Expert baby!

See ya soon, and I will actually show up and race next time :)

r6_philly

Benji, I gridded close behind you in most races, I really hoped to get up there and stuff you one of them races :p but I was slowwwwww

you made me laugh when you pointed to just about everyone on the grid and off the grid before the first race, I almost missed the 1 board smiling in my helmet that was funny

MELK-MAN

QuoteBenji, I gridded close behind you in most races, I really hoped to get up there and stuff you one of them races :p but I was slowwwwww

you made me laugh when you pointed to just about everyone on the grid and off the grid before the first race, I almost missed the 1 board smiling in my helmet that was funny

Yea.. even after Benji did some pointing.. We were on the cool down lap and i had managed to finish just in front of him and hes pointing at the motor of the borrowed 636 yelling "not fair..not fair".. funny stuff.
R6philly.. one reason i entered ONLY 2 races, those races that i was regional point leader in, was for reasons you mentioned in your post. Self preservation. I have gridded all season long with a good bunch of guys but did not feel up to going into turn 1 with guys that i didnt know, or in the middle of a pack period. Im too old for that crap. THe younger guys can scrap it out as they have the time to hone tallent and maybe get a shot at a factory ride. I figured i start well, from the front row as long as i dont throw it on the ground it should be safe. I applaude those with the "minerals" to dive in not being on the front...
see ya.. ;)

r6_philly

the bad part is I used to fight in turn 1, but now, after a few broken bones and still only 70% movement in my right elbow (need surgery probably) I just want to be able to chuck a few beers that night and drive back "normally" the next day.

When I came to the grid, 6 out of 8 people gridded in front of me I never seen before. and I dont know how the starts are in other regions, when people started to bang elbows in turn 1, I just rolled off the throttle and merged myself in line. I am sure I could have fought for 2-5 positions, but I didn't, and didn't want to.

Weird thing, when I race back in my regions, most guys end up doing the same lines because we know the tracks I guess, but at Daytona, there was all kind of lines through the infield, I never seen so many fast guys take so many different lines before  ::) and I saw about 3 crashes and 4 guys ran off track in 4 races... kinda odd.

But I was able to hold down 6th place, so I guess I am not that slow  :P could always blame that 99 motor I got hahahaha

On a lighter note, I did enjoy going down to main street and go to the beach and enjoy the other things that are going on. I think I am bringing a chopper next year to ride around on.

Peanut

i didn't get to talk with you dafan.  it was fun riding with melk & benji, we had some good battles.  this sport is cool, hell i didn't really know benji and when we meet i start asking questions.  where am i slow was basically the theme.  now i just met this guy, almost get tangled up with him on the banking no less, and he answers me, truthfully??  he tells his competitor how to improve??  class my friend, that what that is.  i started the races using my power advantage to stay with him, (like melk was doing with that superfast 636! :o) by later in the weekend i was using his feedback and got faster in the infield as well.

sometimes you meet people who you respect, in this sport it seems like i meet one every weekend.

dafan,
we'll have fun mixing it up as white plates next year, don't hold your head, we did daytona!

nut

MELK-MAN

Quotei didn't get to talk with you dafan.  it was fun riding with melk & benji, we had some good battles.  this sport is cool, hell i didn't really know benji and when we meet i start asking questions.  where am i slow was basically the theme.  now i just met this guy, almost get tangled up with him on the banking no less, and he answers me, truthfully??  he tells his competitor how to improve??  class my friend, that what that is.  i started the races using my power advantage to stay with him, (like melk was doing with that superfast 636! :o) by later in the weekend i was using his feedback and got faster in the infield as well.

sometimes you meet people who you respect, in this sport it seems like i meet one every weekend.

dafan,
we'll have fun mixing it up as white plates next year, don't hold your head, we did daytona!

nut

was my bike THAT fast? i was 4 teeth lower than stock and it did suffer a tad in the infield, but after a full day of practice and never being passed on the banking (that i remember) i was pretty sure it was reasonably fast. Doubt i race someone elses bike again though.. too much to worry about. You guys were a hoot to race with. I cant wait till next year.