News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Sniff!  I'm not at Daytona...

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, October 16, 2003, 11:47:42 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

For those of us without the money or vacation time to go this year, doesn't this SUCK!!!
I'll never forget my first trip around the banking.  It was like the free fall in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."  I rolled the throttle WFO, drifted up by the wall, and screamed, "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!........"  Looked around, wasn't dead yet...  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!......" Still alive, took another breath...    "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
When I got back to the pits, my teammate Dave said, "What do you think?"  All I could do was shake my head and grin for about ten minutes.  I just couldn't talk!
Man, I wish I was going this year...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

StumpysWife

Benji called Monday night from the beach!  

Yup, what sucks is when money isn't the issue but time off is.  Well money is too, I guess.

Heather

madanalyst

buddy of mine hit the track yesterday for first time attending the hammer school.  I called him late in the day to see how things went.  Actually, it was to make sure he was still alive.    All i heard was dead air on the other side of phone as he wasn't able to explain the incredible feeling of being on the track.  High banks, high speeds,  his head shaking from the incredible speed of a borrowed 03 636, etc...  I had a woody the entire time.   Hope to stop in to see some of the races this weekend.  

tigerblade

QuoteI'll never forget my first trip around the banking.  It was like the free fall in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."  I rolled the throttle WFO, drifted up by the wall, and screamed, "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!........"  Looked around, wasn't dead yet...  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!......" Still alive, took another breath...    "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LMAO at that description!   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

K3 Chris Onwiler

I write for a local paper called "Chicagoland Motorsports News."  Here are a few excerpts from my writeup of my first trip to Daytona last fall.  Hopefully they will inspire more wood...

Daytona is an intimidating place.  When you emerge from the access tunnel and get your first look at the speedway from within, the immense size of the place seems to dwarf you.  More than any other track in America, this place is world famous.  Everyone who's anyone in the world of motorsports has been to Daytona.  The history of the place is overwhelming.  While using a urinal in the garage area, I found myself wondering how many of my heroes had stood in that very spot...

Until you've rolled flat-out around the high banks of Daytona on a motorcycle, no description is ever going to do the experience justice.  The G-forces flatten your bike's suspension, causing you to feel every bump, and when you shift gears up there, the bike gets all squirmy and loose.   Between the slope of the banking and the fact that you're leaning the bike into the turn, you realize that you're horizontal, three stories in the air!  You have to look up and left to see around the banking, and your helmet is constantly banging off the gas tank over the bumps.  When I got off the bike after my first fast laps, I was at a complete loss for words.  Dave and Hooks had been to Daytona before, and they were laughing themselves sick over the look on my face and my speechlessness.  All I could do for fifteen minutes was shake my head and grin.  Daytona is just that serious.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote All i heard was dead air on the other side of phone as he wasn't able to explain the incredible feeling of being on the track.    
I can so relate.  Stupidest thing I ever did in my life.  I want more...

motomadness

I'm not there now, but I am going to try to be there in the Spring.  Who's game?

tshort

Nice writeup, K3.  Today was my first day on the high banks, after coming in yesterday to unload in the garage, and I can totally relate to the feeling of seeing those dam walls - er, banked turns -  for the first time up close, and knowing that soon I'd be on them.  Gave me the willies in my gut.

Then today, I hit it, after talking to some people, WFO, just like you described, and sort of waited to see what would happen.  Let's just put it this way:  when I do sports, or anything else, I pretty much get by with zero Jordan-esqe tongue assistance, facial twists, or anything like that.  But today, for the first time ever, I was clipping around that high bank, and darn it if my tongue wasn't sticking out of the side of my mouth (to the left), like some last ditch effort to keep the bike turning, since hanging off was not an option.  LOL.  I really was - and when I noticed it the first time I started laughing.

This place is nutty, and slippery, too.  What a buzz.  Tomorrow is first round of races for me, looking forward to getting my tail handed to me.  We shall see.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

dylanfan53

Ooh! I guess you got a new motor?  Have a great ride, Tom. And post a race report for those of us back here. Good luck! :)
Don Cook
CCS #53

fizzer400

Hey, today was my first time on Daytona too. The banks were pretty spooky at first, but now I can't wait till my race Saturday! You thought the track was slippery too? I thought pretty much the whole infield section was slippery, but I didn't know if it was just that my tires weren't warmed up enough or what. Seems like the two horseshoes and the tight left just before getting on the banking were the worst (wait, didn't I just describe the entire infield?  :P)

Jeff
CCS #419

K3 Chris Onwiler

You go Tom.  The whole Midwest is behind you.  If a fat old man like me could get a fifth there, then I believe you can win!
But even if you do win I'm still gonna kick yer @$$, Harley Boy!!!! ;D

Super Dave

Tom, so how did it go today.

Disappointed that I haven't heard from Benji, Mike and MJ.  How are they doing?

The place is fun.

Did you get to the Port Orange Steak House?
Super Dave