News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My first race

Started by crazycurrie, October 06, 2003, 09:46:54 PM

crazycurrie

;D Ok im gonna throw myself out here... This november 1-2 @ button willow will be my first competition race ever :) Im pretty jazed and at the same time real nevous.. Ive been riding track for the last year with Fast Track Riders and feel that ive learned as much as i could and am ready to compete. Ill be riding my 2002 Cbr 954 and ironically will be racing the #954.. trust me it wasnt one of my choices.  :P
Do any of you seasoned racers have any advice for the new kid on the block? things you wished someone had told you the first time? Any advice would be greatly apreciated. and if you see me at the first of the month come and say hello. ;D

Chef

go and have fun!!!
go FAST but be CAREFUL...

pay attention to your break and shift points...

if the bike feels funny turning in or exiting the turns, tell someone who can help w/suspension...

AND HAVE FUN!!!   LIFE IS SHORT!!

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Take pictures.  It will be the best day of your life, and you'll want photographic evedince for the future...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

MightyDuc Racing

Lots of pictures...and video too if you can.  My advice is to have fun...you'll probably be faster than you expect to be.  Good luck and let us all know how you do! :D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

james-redsv

At the end of the day you will be wishing you had a  bike with less power. :o Good luck, be extra careful its way too easy to ride over your head on that 954 and bust yourself up. I wouldnt want that to happen on your first race day. :D

smoke

I was there with ya not to long ago.

Have fun and hold your line.

EM JAY

Dude, just remember to have fun, thats what its all about.  My first race was at Road America this year, never did a track day, my licesencing(sp?) class was in the rain and cold in April.  I really didn't know what to expect at all.  Then I was like, screw it, I'm here to have fun, the main reason.   Just relax, take it fast and easy.    ;D
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Mark Bernard

I would agree.. just go and have fun. It wouldnt hurt to work out some during the winter either. Upper body and legs.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

crazycurrie

;D Awsome you guys thanks for all the advice... and yeah im deffinitly gonna take it easy being as ive never been to button willow before. But i plan on going up friday to get some practice in and learn my lines. whats a good decent time for that track? My first time at Willow Springs I ran a 130.36. and hed never even seen a track before that day... At fontana ama coarse i did a 140.56..
    But deffinitly i want to have fun and get lots of pictures.. will they let me use my camera mount on my gas tank during a race? Sorry for all the questions im just stoked and november cant come fast enough ::)

K3 Chris Onwiler

Tech will have to OK the camera, but if it's sturdy you should be all right.
When I watch new guys on their first weekend, I get a bit wistful and jealous.  It will never be my first time again...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

smoke

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

K3 wants is cherry back ( LOL) J/K,  U got wood this year right?  Thats what I want now ( WOOD)

oldguy

A little tip from a 954 rider: Go to a parking lot, put earplugs in your ears so you can't hear anything, and have someone throw a flag for you so you can practice your starts. You just can't imagine how high up in the air that 954 will get if you dump the clutch at about 6K. The sound on the start will be deafening and you won't be able to hear your own engine so you have to practice and watch your tach to see what is the best launch.  Be smooth on the throttle at the corner exit even when the adrenaline is flowing. It costs about $3,500 to fix a 954 highside  ;D