News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Wow what a year...

Started by EX#996, October 06, 2003, 08:29:01 AM

EX#996

Wow....  The racing season is over for us.  

The last event at Gateway wrapped up the Midwest 2003 racing season.  In a way, I am glad it is over, and in a way I am deeply saddened by it.

This year we came into the season with a plan.  We took a look at Paul's best three classes for the past year and said that we would only race those this year (this way we could spread our racing budget over more race dates).  Paul was finishing well, but no real thoughts of championships were on our mind in the beginning of the year.

During one of the yearly May dates, K3 (Chris Onwiler) said to us.  "Ya know man...  this is your year.  You have to go for a championship.  I will do what ever I can to help you."  That was the kick in the pants that we needed.  Paul and I sat down, discussed how we could possibly do it, and went to work towards the goal of winning one, possibly two regional championships.

Paul is licensed in the Midwest.  He ran LW SS, LW SB and Thunderbike each and every race date.  We went to Blackhawk Farms, Mid America Motorplex, Road America, Hartland Park, Gateway and Gingerman.  Paul was consistent, almost always finishing in the top five and preserved himself and the bike (only two major crashes, but one he got up and still finished second with no foot peg no less).  By September, we realized that he had the opportunity to win seven championships!  Never in our wildest dreams did we expect this.  This meant that we needed to go to one date that was not a Midwest race date at Gateway.  Paul did well and maintained his points lead.

When it is all said and done, hear are the numbers:
      Total number of races:  51
      First Places:  8
      Second Places:  11
      Third Places:  19
      Fourth Places:  6
      Fifth Places:  4
      Sixth Places:  2
      Ninth Place:  1  (crashing hard enough not to continue sucks)

Midwest Amateur Lightweight Super Sport Champion
Midwest Amateur Lightweight Superbike Champion
Midwest Amateur Thunderbike Champion
Great Lakes Amateur Lightweight Super Sport Champion
Great Lakes Amateur Lightweight Superbike Champion
Great Plains Amateur Lightweight Super Sport Champion
Great Plains Amateur Lightweight Superbike Champion

Total amount of money spent:  $10,955.92
The memories:  Priceless and will last a lifetime.

There are so many that were a part of this success please allow me to name a few.  First I want to thank God, every time Paul went out on that bike, I said a prayer for him to keep him safe, and anything else was just a bonus.  My prayers were answered.  Chris Onwiler, for the kick in the pants and your friendship, you made this season enjoyable (we hope to return the favor).  'Super' Dave Rosno, your advise on fuel, suspension, your school – it made the difference in Paul's year.  Tom Mason, Mason Racing Tires, the Michelins worked wonderful and the help you provided in choosing the right tires for each track was key.  Craig Schock, just the thought of you always got Paul to wick it up a notch (you know we love you, man).

To all of our friends – no our family - at the track.  Thank you for a wonderful year.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

ts199

Congrats on the great season.  I usually lurk over here and finally got to a race this past weekend at Gateway and raced your husband.  Had a great time and even like the track!!!!  

Hope to see you next year.

Tracy Simmons
AM #199

K3 Chris Onwiler

Favor?  What favor?  Paul rode the bike.  You all found and spent the money.  Anything I ever did for the Buxtons was returned tenfold.  It's me who owes you.  As horrible as this season was for me, I really would have quit after Wegman if not for the fact that I couldn't bear to disappoint the three of you.  Somehow I ended up with two championships as a hard-luck prize.  I didn't take them by force as I'd have liked, but they're still mine.  Without your help and encouragement, all I'd have now is the bitter feeling of being a quitter.
So who really owes who?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

tigerblade

Congrats on the year Buxton Bunch!   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

KBOlsen

Dawn... Paul... Renee...

You are so richly deserving of success... I am THRILLED that this year has been "all that and a bag of chips"...

Chris, you KNOW that walking away from all this would NEVER be an option...

I'm so proud of all of you... and am so glad to have such a wonderful extended family.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MightyDuc Racing

Wow...way to go!  Congrats to the Buxtons!!! :D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Chef

GREAT WORK, PAUL !!!!
Great Support, Dawn and Renee !!!

Hey, thanks for being "Cool" too... :)
Ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

PJ

Congrats to Paul! Should be a nice crop of fast rookie experts in the Lightweight classes next season.

Looking forward to the challenge...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

MELK-MAN

that is a crapload of championships..!!
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Super_KC124

Way to go Paul!  I sure enjoyed hanging with you guys at the track this year.  ;D ;D ;D

Super Dave

Nice job, Buxtons....

I think K3 echos what I usually say..."Paul, you rode the bike."  Nice job.  Happy that I can play some role in personal victories, race wins, and championships.  But you all still have to drive to the track, pay the bills, then execute on track.

Great Job!
Super Dave

oldguy

Great job Paul! What an awesome year! It was great hanging with you both at the Wegman. I'll never forget it either, because it was my first race. Hope to see you again next year somewhere. Congrats again on a phenomenal year.