Points calculated differently?

Started by fizzer400, September 30, 2003, 07:19:09 AM

fizzer400

I recently raced Thunderbikes at Jennings and scored an 8th place. I'm in the SE region, but that weekend was a SE/FL combined event. Normally SE has EX and AM split Thunderbikes, but I guess FL has combined Thunderbikes. So I assumed I would get 44 FL points for my 8th, but it's nowhere to be found in the FL points. In SE Am Thunderbike points, I'm listed as having 106 points. Are the points calculated differently if you're in a EX/AM combined field? Or is it just a mistake?

Thanks,
Jeff
CCS #419

TiffineyIngram

You should be listed in the Florida points under "Combined Heavyweight Sportsman" with 44 points.  However, on the CCS side, I break experts and amateurs up.  So, an amateur that takes 8th overall but first in amateurs will get 65 points in CCS Amateur Thunderbike.

fizzer400

Thanks for the response. I just noticed that the FL points haven't been updated since 7/24, so that's why I'm not seeing myself there. That's what I thought too about the ex/am points, but how could I have ended up with 106? Even if I was 1st among the AMs, that should be only 65 points. It's looking more like a mistake now.

So if you run a race that is combined instead of ex/am split, the points are still split between ex/am(ie 8th place overall 1st place AM gets 65 AM points)? Then why is there ever a combined field rather than an ex/am split? What's the difference?

Jeff
CCS #419

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThanks for the response. I just noticed that the FL points haven't been updated since 7/24, so that's why I'm not seeing myself there. That's what I thought too about the ex/am points, but how could I have ended up with 106? Even if I was 1st among the AMs, that should be only 65 points. It's looking more like a mistake now.

So if you run a race that is combined instead of ex/am split, the points are still split between ex/am(ie 8th place overall 1st place AM gets 65 AM points)? Then why is there ever a combined field rather than an ex/am split? What's the difference?

Jeff
CCS #419

Are you sure that weekend wasn't a double points event? 106 points would be twice 53 points which would be 4th place. You may have been the 4th place amateur?

Amateur and Expert races are always seperate races going on with there own seperate points, even if on the track at the same time. No matter how the 2 levels are intermixed during the race, it has no bearing on the other levels results. Combined races are generally Experts in the front of the grid, followed by several empty rows, then the Amateurs. Everyone is released at the same time and the gap between the Experts and Amateurs is used to help relieve some of the crowding in turn 1. Two wave races are set up the same way with the exception that the Experts are released 1st, then after everyone makes it thru turn 1 safely they release the Amateurs. The reason Amateur and Expert races are run at the same time is to help everyone get out of the track earlier. With the addition of classes in the last decade, the event schedule has become rather full. Throw into the mix numerous red flags or track clean-ups and races can get pushed into the early evening.

Safety is definately a question by many racers as to if combining is really the right thing to do. If you watch some of these topics regularly you will see numerous comments about lapped riders being an issue. An expert having to lap another expert (like me this year) during a race is not as much a safety issue as having to pass the slowest amatuer guys in a combined race who may be riding somewhat erratic lines due to lack of experience.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

fizzer400

Thanks for the info Mike. To my knowledge, it was not a double points event but I do believe I was the 4th amateur. Keep in mind this was a FL event, so maybe they do things differently. I'm familiar with the ex/am two-wave starts(ex/am split events), but this one was ex and am started all together. If the points are still split up, could I have received a 4th place wood that I didn't pick up? Probably not, but can't hurt to ask! :)

Jeff
CCS #419

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThanks for the info Mike. To my knowledge, it was not a double points event but I do believe I was the 4th amateur. Keep in mind this was a FL event, so maybe they do things differently. I'm familiar with the ex/am two-wave starts(ex/am split events), but this one was ex and am started all together. If the points are still split up, could I have received a 4th place wood that I didn't pick up? Probably not, but can't hurt to ask! :)

Jeff
CCS #419

Yes Jeff, you would have recieved a 4th place plaque if you were the 4th place finishing Amateur, what sucks though is that the unclaimed plaques are generally recycled.

The majority of the time there will never be a situation where your racing against the Experts for points in combined races, you are only racing against the other Amateurs. Though you are on the track at the same time as the Experts there is actually 2 different races going on at the same time, yours being the Amateur race. Your points will be figured by your finishing position as compared to the other Amateurs in the race, regardless of any Experts in front of or behind you.

The only situation I can think of where Experts could possibly affect your finishing position/points is if you were in some type of race like the Team Challenge where it isn't divided up between Experts and Amateurs, in this rare situation results would be purely by finishing position, not ranking as Amateur or Expert. As for if there is some special situation like this in the Florida Region with the "Combined Heavyweight Sportsman" class, I am not sure?

Super Dave

There are a couple of races that don't have separations between EX & AM...

Grand Prix Singles, Super Singles, Ultra Lightweight Sportsman.  Regionally, it might be done differently.
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThere are a couple of races that don't have separations between EX & AM...

Grand Prix Singles, Super Singles, Ultra Lightweight Sportsman.  Regionally, it might be done differently.

Thanks Dave for enlightening me to this, I was unaware of that. :)

Super Dave

No prob...

Even then, the Florida Region is owned by someone else.  They are not owned by CCS, so sometimes they will do things differently to suit their needs.
Super Dave