News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

One - Multi-finger braking

Started by Jeff, September 24, 2003, 12:34:30 PM

twg

The instructors at Freddie Spencer's school teach using two fingers.

dylanfan53

Two - I think. No, one. No, two, yeah that's it, two. I'm sure of it now, I think...
Don Cook
CCS #53

Mark Bernard

Two with the Buell... definatley,definatley two....yea two...
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

tigerblade

I was riding mountain bikes with a friend the other day.  He says "Hey, look at us.  We're both covering the brakes!"   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Jeff

I'm growing more open to trying new things.  Without trying new things I won't get much faster.  Granted, mastering the old things will get me faster, but trying new can sometimes shortcut the process.

I guess I'll start working on two this weekend.  Plenty of practice time since there's that whole SRD THING on Saturday instead of real racing  (just to fuel the fire here!).

FWIW, I was able to use two after I slipped on the one finger, but I was applying so much more brake that it changed my braking points which really messed me up...  Can you say 'STOP' oh crap 'accellerate TO the corner' :)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Zac

Two fingers on my dirt bikes, street bikes, mountain bikes, and race bikes.

Exception - our '72 Honda CL 450 vintage bike, under hard braking, like coming off a straight, I'll use all four fingers.  Under lighter braking I'll still use two.

-z.

Super Dave

How can you guys pull the brakes hard enough to get the bike to slow down enough with one finger?

I could understand if you had radial master cylinders and some really cool Vesrah pads and all, but I know not everyone can afford them.  I'd like a radial master cylinder....

As for levers sitting goofy...

This is a safety issue.  Bend the thing to the place you need it to work at.  Move the master cylinder, anything.  Too many people leave stuff in just an uncomfortable postion.  It just isn't right.
Super Dave

tigerblade

QuoteHow can you guys pull the brakes hard enough to get the bike to slow down enough with one finger?

Either:

a) My index finger is stronger than yours

or

b) I'm not going as fast as you to need that much braking power

Unfortunately, I think I know the answer...   :P ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Nate R

Jef4y, if when braking with 2 fingers you're going so much slower that you can almost accelerate into the corner --- doesn't that indicate that there's a lot of room to make up time on the brakes by going to 2 fingers? I mean if you were getting on at the same time and able to let off earlier to achieve the same corner speed, then you were on the brakes harder.

I use 2, IIRC, and it works well for me. And I ain't shy on the braking power, just about where I start braking.  ;) Seriously, hard braking is one of my favorite things. SOOO Much force right there slowing down.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

james-redsv

I find it easier to blip the throttle when using only one finger. On my Duck I do have radial MCs and it helps. On my SV I have EBC kit pads and SSrotors, it stops great with one finger as well. ;D

Thingy

QuoteHow can you guys pull the brakes hard enough to get the bike to slow down enough with one finger?

I brake with one finger and can lift the rear wheel, so I am asuming that I am pulling it hard enough.  However, I sometimes do use two fingers in the longer races if I get tired.  I am out of shape, you know. :)

Maybe I brake like a girl, I don't know.  (Just a saying, Kim, Dawn, etc.)  ;) Maybe I should try two fingers sometime. ???
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!