AMA Barber Final Event

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, September 21, 2003, 02:50:03 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Congrats to Maladin! Way to go on his 4th championship!

What in the world happened when Bostrom took out those 2 privateers and Miguel ? Man was Miguel PISSED! That would have been a good race to the stripe.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

PJ

Gotta hand it to Mladin. First 4-time Champ in AMA Superbike history.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season with all the rules changes.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

wizard

what new changes are being made

PJ

Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

JimH

Did anyone notice that former CCS racer Blake Young finished 11th in the Supersport race?  It's my understanding he quit CCS after RA this year 'cause they wouldn't let a 15 year old ride a 600!

TZDeSioux

It was definately cool to see Blake up there. Always knew that boy could run with the big boys.  :)

PJ

RRW has Blake in 10th. Ahead of Lee Acree, Suzuki factory rider Stauffer and Yamaha factory rider DiSalvo. Wow!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

EX#996

QuoteDid anyone notice that former CCS racer Blake Young finished 11th in the Supersport race?  It's my understanding he quit CCS after RA this year 'cause they wouldn't let a 15 year old ride a 600!

Didn't they say it was his birthday today? and is first AMA event?

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

motomadness

I think that was Logan Young they were talking about on Speed.  I thought Blake had a b-day in the summer before Jessie.

I was still very impressed.

tigerblade

We had a good view of the Miguel/Bostrom crash.  I'm surprised there weren't more incidents in that turn with the different lines everyone was taking.  

And I couldn't believe they didn't red flag it either.  There were bikes still on the track and if someone ran wide (which happened quite a bit) they would have been making red mist of a cornerworker or two.   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

JimH

"Didn't they say it was his birthday today? and is first AMA event? "

Correct on both, Dawn.  It's hard to believe the kid first set wheel to pavement a year ago and now he's racing a AMA national.

BTW, do any of you remember Rob Peirson?(sp) He started racing at Blackhawk the same time Blake did.
I had the honor of watching him score a podium finish(3rd) at the AMA Grand National at Hales Corners Speedway during Harley's 100th.

Whats next, 12 year olds on the podium? ;)

Burt Munro

I was cornerworking at Barber this weekend. (Turn 14 Fri,  4 Sat. and 2 Sunday.  

Miguel tried to create a red flag situation after being taken out in the Superbike race on Sunday.  First by faking an injury and saying he needed an ambulance and when that didn't work he threw a bunch a gravel on the track.

He was also responsible for a new rule after Saturday's races.  We were told at the cornerworker meeting on Sunday morning that we now had the authority to stop a bike from going back on track until it was as free of gravel as possible.  

This was because of all the gravel Miguel was responsible for  spreading around the track after he went into the gravel trap in turn 2 during Superbike Race 1 on Saturday.  

For 3 laps after he came back on track he was dumping gravel everytime he came thru turn 4.  
So a rule was adopted staing that we were to treat those bikes the same as if they were spreading oil on the track.

We didn't get a straight answer though when we asked if the riders were aware that we had this new authority!?!?

As far as not stopping the race when all the bikes went down, we were told to do everything we could to avoid impeding the racing (limited waving yellow and only asking for red flags if a crash was in a blind spot on the track or if we had a serious injury) since there were championships on the line.  The expectation was to get the bikes out of impact areas as quickly as possible and go back to a green track.

I have to admit it did become a bit of a challenge.

We did have 70 cornerworkers on Sat and Sun so we had plenty of help.

All in all the race, the Barber track and the museum were a blast!!!

Rick

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!