News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How about chips for Cummins Turbodiesel?

Started by oldguy, September 20, 2003, 04:17:25 AM

oldguy

OK, you motorheads hashed over the F150 4.6 hop ups with some great info, now how about the Cummins Turbodiesel? It looks like there are several chips on the market with various claims. What seems to work the best? And while we're at it, has anyone ever used those inertia brake controllers that sense deceleration and apply trailer brakes? Seems to me like the feedback loop would just keep adding brakes forever. Anybody know?

EX#996

Doug,

You may want to add what year of Cummins you are talking about.  I know there are some significant differences between the years.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quotehas anyone ever used those inertia brake controllers that sense deceleration and apply trailer brakes? Seems to me like the feedback loop would just keep adding brakes forever. Anybody know?

The hot dog trailer I used to take to auto dealers for Geneva Vans had it. Only works when theres a significant amount of braking by the tow vehicle. Personally I'd rather have the brake controller in the cab.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

6Rjunkie

I have a Power Edge EZ module for my 01 w/automatic trans. They claim 65hp -185 lbs torque.
Don't know for sure if it gets that much but I can definatly feel a big difference on the butt dyno.

The gas milage didn't improve like everyone told me it would, but mine has a 4.10 gear so you can't expect much on the highway. Atleast it didn't get any worse with that added power.

All the cummins diesel web sites I visited recomended the chip I got if you don't want to worry about reliability with the automatic trans.

WebCrush

I love my Cummins.

I have a '95 with 186k miles on it.  Put in a bigger turbo, custom laser extrude honed injectors, bigger injection pumps, fuel cam plates, etc.

It'll pull my trailer loaded (weighed in at 10k lbs) uphill at 80mph and not even break a sweat and still get 15mpg towing! (20mpg not towing).

I will NEVER bu another non diesel truck again and Cummins seems to be my choice.  You cannot go wrong with this engine.

There are a few caveats such as the Dodge tranny is made of glass and will not handle the Cummins engine well or for very long.  The 94-97 models have a dowel pin issue that can rattle loose and destroy the cam internals.  The 98-02 models also have an issue of puking injection pumps readily.

Super Dave

I've got the Super Chips Micro Tuner for my E350...  I think they have them for Cummins too.  

Nice thing about them is that it takes off the stock map and puts on a new one, ususally three maps to choose from depending upon the power you want.  I use the lowest setting, and I got a great increase in torque and a bit better mileage, even with 4:10's.

If you have a new vehicle with a warranty, this can be the cool way to go, as there is nothing you have to bust into.  Mine installed through the diagnostic port.

Intertia brake controllers...  Rob, there are a lot of companies that make them that go in the cab.  I have just a regular Draw-tite analog one...seemt that they are the most reliable for us...we install them.  The other ones...not sure.  I read about them and they sound cool.  If you have a bit of money and want a diesel...buy a turbo brake or an exhaust brake.  I'm going to build one for my bus.  E350's have an exhaust thingy in it for trying to warm up the engine when it's cool out....I'll make a couple of switches and then use that as an exhaust brake.  Much easier on the whole system.
Super Dave

oldguy

Thanks for the tips. I just got an '03 Ram w/the turbodiesel, and I heard about the trannys, but they claim they have that licked. We'll see! I was leaning toward the Edge controller because you can take it out for warranty work.
As far as brake controllers go, I think one of the in-cab potentiometer thingys will suffice.
Thanks for your help.

WebCrush

'03 is nice.

If yer going to be towing, get an E-Brake.  Save you a lot of brake pad when going down the hills and mountain passes

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote, and I heard about the trannys, but they claim they have that licked. .

Best way to assure you wont have a tranny problem with a Dodge is get a manual tranny. I'm a big Dodge nut but would never get a full size with a 4 spd auto if I had to get an auto tranny.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Team_nuclear123

Funny you should mention real engines here.. lol I cut my teeth on Cat Cummins and Detroit!

Trans commander is a must, make the converter lock up and keep the heat down. HUGE trans cooler, in addition to the stock one.

With the new ones..  02/03, Banks has a powerup kit that works awesome, so does Diesel dynamics. A full exhaust system is a must, but does make it even louder. I would NOT run a retarder (jake brake) as the trans will not be able to cope with the back torque. The Manual trans is fine for it though.

If you really want to get nutz, send your pump and injectors to San Jose Diesel pump and have them rework them with a 20% increase in pressure, a 7deg advance, and a 20% flow increse. Then run the overboost kit from Banks or others.

If you run a Pyrometer, you will go nutz it gets so dman hott! Run the truck down at idle to cool it off until the EGT is under 350.

If you plan to keep it a long time, fit an after-oiler, electronic oil pump to circulate oi for 10 min after you shut it off.

Try to remember that a diesel drives much differently, and learn how to come off the pedal when you start to approach your cruise speed, also letting it idle for as much of its life as you can is the best way to get killer engine life. The less you shut it off, the longer it will live....

Feel free to email me if you have any questions - drduc996@yahoo.com

Will

Eric Kelcher

Wait on the power ups the current ones are causing a lot of heat on the 03's

Did you get the HO or the SO?

On the Auto the tranny is much improved but the convertor, I am told, is the same and a good aftermarkert one will help in temps and life.

For the best source for Dodge/Cummins info goto Turbodieselregister.com

I am on my third Dodge/Cummins truck and with each base power increase I have seen a loss of about 5% in MPG but when I hopped the trucks up I did not see a MPG decrease and not really increase.

I have the 03 3500 SRW Ho Auot and boy is it a beast I pulled 28,600 last week and it did that as easy as my old 235hp tweaked 96 did with 20,000.

On brake controllers if you pull heavy or often the absolute best contoller I have found is the Brakesmart.com controller it senses brakes line pressure, number of axles, adn provides for a whole range of brake systems (air, Hydralic, disc, drum) If you do search in the tech area I did a write up on brake contollers about a year ago.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

OmniGLH

Are the Rams still only rated at the full power with the manual trans - or was that only for '02 that the autos were way way detuned?  Definitely nice looking trucks, probably the best looking on the market now (and I am NOT a Dodge fan...)

I want a diesel.  I used to work for Navistar (company that builds the Ford Powerstroke.)  I've seen what these motors can do.  The fact that they can be tweaked for big power and awesome fuel economy (I've seen some programs pull ~25mpg out of an unloaded vehicle) is a big plus.  Not to mention, A) I'm a turbo nut and like the whistle  :)  and B) I still have some contacts to get me some trick go-fast parts  ;D

I just wish they weren't so freakin' expensive.  $45k is a lot of coin to drop on a truck... I'd almost rather just buy another Z06 and just bum a ride to the track!  Anybody want to trade a low-mileage '02 Silverado 1500 straight-up for a similarly equipped 7.3L Powerstroke?  ;D
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak