News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Since we've been talking about points...

Started by OmniGLH, September 12, 2003, 09:08:40 AM

OmniGLH

With all the talk about points, championships, etc, I'd like to make a new suggestion to discuss.

The topic is "Overall Championships" for Am and Ex.  This would also include instances such as the BHF Track Champion, etc.

Now as I am led to believe, the way these championships are tallied, is just "Who has the most total points."  Meaning - if you have a guy, with a boatload of money, who can afford to have 3+ bikes, he could wind up being the champion, simply because he enters more races.  

Now, in my mind, doesn't that kind of make the #1 plate a little hollow?  I've always considered the #1 plateholder to be the fastest guy.  He got it based on his ability, not his wallet.

What if we were to limit the # of classes that would contribute to an overall points standing?  

Say for example, that some guy buys 3 bikes.  An SV, an R6, and an R1.  He proceeds to enter 14 of the 16 classes that are available in a given weekend.  He's slow, doesn't finish in the top-10, but because of all the points he's acquired, he goes home with the #1 plate at the end of the season.  What I would propose is that, rather than tally up all 14 classes, why not just pick his top-3?  Or, if that's too much work, allow the rider to pick, at the beginning of the season, which classes will contribute to his overall points - and limit him to 2 or 3 classes?

Just an idea.....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Team_nuclear123

That happens all the time....

The only way to beat em is to beat em, so just buy more bikes and enter more classes.

Top three classes in a weekend is just about the perfect way to go, but then you end up with a lot fo guys with prefect points... We won five at the last weekend.... Maybe it shoudl be based on performance index...

Its a little hollow anyways for the Am's.. We are working on winning the Pac and Sw am title overall...  What can we do with it next year... Im pretty sure they wont let us stay am... lol So no number one plate either way... Maybe they will let us run 1x...lol That wont put an even BIGGER target on our backs...

ecumike

Yea, Ptak, good suggestion, but realize, with almost anything... if you've got the money, you've got an advantage.

Whether it buying trick parts, more track time, more bikes, etc.... as we've discussed in the past here.. chasing a points championship 'could' come down to who has the biggest $$, as you said.. more bikes, more points, etc.. It does suck, but that the way it is.

StumpysWife

Just for the record, BHF champ Benji only has one bike, a GSXR-600.  He just rides the heck out of it in both middleweights and heavyweights.  He comes to the track with his S10 pickup and that's it.  No 20' trailer filled to the gills, either.    

Track champs aren't hollow.  No fees next year is a huge deal.

Heather

OmniGLH

QuoteJust for the record, BHF champ Benji only has one bike, a GSXR-600.  He just rides the heck out of it in both middleweights and heavyweights.  He comes to the track with his S10 pickup and that's it.  No 20' trailer filled to the gills, either.    

Track champs aren't hollow.  No fees next year is a huge deal.

Heather

Not bagging on Benji.  I could have easily have said Gateway champ.  Benji is fast, he acquired the points, he deserves the track championship.

If he dawdled around in 10th place every race, I would think otherwise.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Nate R

Woah! I've been missing something here. Does an AM champ of a class get free entries next year? Or just a track champ? Where do the rules talk about this? Do they get all the entries they want, or what? ???
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

OmniGLH

QuoteTop three classes in a weekend is just about the perfect way to go, but then you end up with a lot fo guys with prefect points... We won five at the last weekend.... Maybe it shoudl be based on performance index...

I didn't mean each WEEKEND.  I meant, at the end of the SEASON.  Only your best 3 classes count.  If you've got a guy who wins 3 given classes, every weekend, consistently, such that he has a perfect record, then so be it.  At least then the championship was given to someone who wins, and who is a good representative of the championship.  Not some guy who crawls around the racetrack but shells out the most cash.

Yes, I realize that money CAN buy championships, even with my proposed idea.  Somebody can go buy a kickass bike, kickass equipment, etc.  But at least it's not as blatantly obvious, ya know?  And besides - I'm still a firm believer that this sport is 90% rider, 10% machine.  An updated bike being the only change is not going to send a backmarker to the front of the pack.

Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

MELK-MAN

Our overall FL region AM points leader, Laz Diaz, does not win many races but does finish top 10 to 5 often. he is a very good and consistant rider. He rides NINE classes often on the same bike. An older r6 in heavywt AND unlimited classes. He is WAY out in front with total points.  :)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

TZDeSioux

Isn't racing all about who's got the most money? Howcome nobody complains that so and so can afford new tires for every race when so and so can't?

ecumike

QuoteIsn't racing all about who's got the most money? Howcome nobody complains that so and so can afford new tires for every race when so and so can't?

Woohoo.. thanks.. I just found my new excuse ;)

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteIsn't racing all about who's got the most money? Howcome nobody complains that so and so can afford new tires for every race when so and so can't?

Again I think it falls were your priorities are at. I have basically shown up to almost all the events in the 3 MW Regions with my GSXR 600 and ran 4 classes per event, twice if a Twin Sprint event. I have not had the extra money this year to buy tires to run competatively so if I wanted to race at all I was going to be in the back. What is rather odd is that I am in the top 10 Expert overall points by following the previously mentioned schedule. I personally don't think that 4 classes for the season is that unreasonable to earn a top 10 plate, but it's strange to me that more people apparently are not making that commitment. If I am finishing in the back and can get enough points for a top 10 plate, then anybody else should be able to do the same. It's all about showing up to every event and always racing the same classes if you want class championships (which I also have at this moment, but may give away this weekend by intentionally not showing up, to let some of the faster guys this season have those championships). I just want the good grid position at the ROC, since I am buying tires for those races, and class position by region is what determines that so I have held onto those class championships.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

TZDeSioux

Mike,
why give up anything intentionally? It's yours.. you've earned it by being committed. At any level.... guys who show up and race every weekend win championships not the guys who pick a few select rounds to race in. Some guys here want to argue that some guys buy championships. Does a guy who comes in second place everytime deserve the championship more than the guy who finishes last but shows up to every race weekend? I don't think so.