News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

AIRFENCE at Summit

Started by clutch, September 10, 2003, 02:27:08 PM

clutch

I was loving having some Air Fence at this past weekends Summit FUSA date.  That was great having it in T-4 and 8 which are the most critical points on that track to have it. What kind of made me pissed was the fact that on an average CCS weekend we never, ever see this fence in place.  But when the FUSA rolls in thats a need for them.  Why?  Are the average CCS'ers not good enough to have it? I bet there are quite a few guys who would have liked to have that fence there back in July in both 4 and 8.  Why the heck cant CCS buy the damn sections and keep it at the track?  Dont tell me they dont make enough money to do this..bite the bullet.  Speeds are getting too fast to not have it in place all the time.  Stop thinking with your financial gains and think that this simple section of fence can save a life and the financial dependancy of the average racer who needs it to support his family.  I bet that guy would not have been medevaced back in July had that Fence been in 4 and Defan would have been a lot better off as well.  Another suggestion is to have the tracks buy the sections or make the track safer to run without it.  I am sure Summit makes enough money to buy the sections of fence needed.  I hear TPM actually bought a bunch of Fence for their events.  Way to go TPM if this is correct.

r6_philly

We (Team Pro-Motion) bought 3 section of air fence for our own use out of our own money. We use it at pocono and at summit mostly. Last time we were at summit JC for a track day we were going to put it up on the main course for CCS to use but it didn't happen for whatever reasons.

The thing is summit's turn 4 takes at least 4 sections to cover. And you also need man power to set it up and take it down. If CCS owns it it also needs transporting. I usually stay after a Team Pro-Motion event to take down the air fence, takes about 1/2 hour with 3 guys to do 3 sections. You also need people to blow it up in the morning.

It would make more sense for the track to buy softbarriers (foam would do) for turn 4 and 8, and set it out there before the weekend. They will do fine infront of the tire walls and are cheaper than air fence. They are also easier to set up, just need storage room. If summit point is not willing to move the wall further back because of whatever, soft barrier would be the next best thing.

We are supposed to be racing on shenendoah or main or both next year? That would solve the problem if the new track has more run off, if not, we have to do something over the winter. I want to raise some money and get some barrier for summit if we are going to continue to use the main course. twice hitting the wall this year is enough for me. It has costed me more money in those incidents than the cost of 5 sections of air fence.

clutch

Dafan.  That is great TPM has bought airfence.  Somthing does need to be done and from what I hear, Shanendoah is not gonna be motorcycle friendly.  Lots of hardwalls for cars and crossbacks.

WebCrush

I'm so used to seeing airfence since my hometrack (Loudon) has it everywhere.  The riders all chipped in money and raised $75k, and the track then matched it!!

As for placement at Summit, turn 4 is a need to have but I think they positioned it too far to the left, almost as if the 'expected' typical crash there would have been a front tuck while on the brakes.  

When I was going through there and expecting my rear tire to come 'undone' my trajectory would have put me into the hill far right of where the airfence was.  

clutch

Ultimate solution to T-4 are some sticks of dynamite and earth movers and get rid of the blasted wall. :)

WebCrush

Ya, but wouldn't that send riders directly into the carousel, hence VERY dangerous.

I got a better idea, lets LEVEL the entire SPR facility and start a-new.

Crazy ideas to include:

--rain drainage
--non inner-city-school-like facilities
--more bathrooms, less porta-potties
--functioning PA system
--medical center
--less sealer, more pavement

Hell, maybe we could get some elevation changes and corners like the road LEADING to the racetrack!

r6_philly

QuoteI'm so used to seeing airfence since my hometrack (Loudon) has it everywhere.  The riders all chipped in money and raised $75k, and the track then matched it!!

As for placement at Summit, turn 4 is a need to have but I think they positioned it too far to the left, almost as if the 'expected' typical crash there would have been a front tuck while on the brakes.  

When I was going through there and expecting my rear tire to come 'undone' my trajectory would have put me into the hill far right of where the airfence was.  

placement at T4... it would seem so that you are correct, but.. they just didn't have enough sections. They need to cover it from the dirtwall at the start of the wood fense all the wall to the other side, maybe about 6-7 sections or more. When I ran off on the outside of T4 I hit the wall. When I was taken out past the apex of 4 I hit the wall. You have to cover that whole section. And with the direction and placement of the track, there need to be a divider, but I thought a gravel trap from down the hill up to turn 5 backed by soft barriers will do the job adaquately. So if Shenendoah is going to be just as bad or we will race on the main course again next year, I will have to try to raise some money this winter and do some stuff.