:-[Boy dies at 100th

Started by 1RACEBABE, September 08, 2003, 09:22:28 AM

1RACEBABE

:-[My friend's son went to school with the 10 year old boy that was killed Labor Day weekend.  Bretts funeral is tonight and her son wants to be there to say good bye to his friend.   How sad it is that our children must endure the impact of these situations.  No matter how hard we try to protect them evil has a way of creeping in and finding the Achilles heel.  His father was not drunk, he simply was not paying attention and Brett paid for the mistake with his life.  

I will admit, I do not like Harleys, I never have.  They all look the same and sound the same and the owners seem to have missed the concept of a muffler.  I like the speed and sleekness of sport bikes as much as all of you do, but...you need to take into account the margin for human error.  Yes, there were accidents, it is naieve to think there wouldnt be.  But I live in Milwaukee and the HD people were well behaved and did not leave a huge mess in our clean city.  They did not riot or pillage, there were an abundance of HD rivals and they did not fight or cause harm to anyone here.  The police were not needed to keep them in line, for the most part.  They acted like grown ups and left a lot of their money in our city.  We cannot make a blanket statement that Harley riders are mean, dirty, ugly people with no respect; for the same can be said about us.  We are often reckless in our pursuit for perfection if only because we have the need to master this skill to move on to the next.  For now, I am content that the 100th is over, I have all ready heard arrangements have begun to plan the 105th.

I think of Brett when I see a Harley pass my way and hope that there was a lesson learned in his death.  That something good can be taken away from the waste of youth.  I take extra care with my children now, especially knowing this was preventable.  We never know when Death will come to our door so cherish what you have and give all the love you can.  "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."  Peace out people!

Nate R

It is sad to see this. For those of you who take children on back of your streetbikes, make sure you get a helmet that fits them. If you can't find a street helmet small enough, there are motocross helmets for small children, and usually are Snell approved. This child was wearing a helmet that was too big for his head. It fell off during the crash.

My condolences to anyone who knows this family.  :'(
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(