News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CBR600rr or should I wait for a 04 GSXR 600

Started by garthed, August 25, 2003, 05:05:13 PM

garthed

What should I do buy CBR600rr or wait for a 04 GSXR 600. I rode the cbr this last weekend and loved it. Also rode a 636 and liked it better but I can't run it in AFM 600 Prod and Superbike. Give me some input. The GSXR is supposed to have 5 more hps then 03 and not be as heavy.

Also does anyone know the how big of a difference the CA version of the CBR is compared to the 49 state version.

I have a 02 GSXR and do not like it all that much. I felt better on my 01 R6 last year.

Later
Garth
CCS #19
AFM #419

Super Dave

Super Dave

lil_thorny

i can't believe that I disagree with the man.......
SSSSSSSSSUUUUUZZZZZUUUUUUUKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIII
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

It depends...  If you want to be able to bum parts from people in the pits and get their shade-tree advice, go with the suzuki.

If you want a bike that will never fail you mechanically, and will be JUST as fast (if not faster), go with the Honda...

The CA version is down on HP by 4-6.  Cams, ECM, mapping air system, etc are different.

Get a 49 st bike...

If you did well on the R6, you will love the RR.  They are VERY similar in position, handling, power, etc...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

And for all of you that don't have Yamaha's...

Your parts are way more expensive than Yamaha's...

As for reliability...that only comes from an extended period of use of a particular thing.  The RR...all the test bikes have popped.  There are a lot of them that smoke on deacceleration...  Those are facts that Honda Motor Corporation needs to address.

I do not have any special deal with any manufacturer right now.  But regardless, the Yamaha has a whole lot of advantages over the rest.
Super Dave

Jeff

I agree Dave, although I don't know any RR's that have popped.

The R6 is an awesome bike.  Very reliable, stable, and parts are readily available at the track.

Some RR's smoke and burn a tiny bit of oil, but from all the R6 people I've talked to, they end up adding oil as well from time to time.  The concept I heard (which seemed plausable) was that the oil rings are very thin which leaves a thicker coating of oil on the cylinder wall and consequently gets burned.  Not sure if that is the case, but it seemed to make sense...

If mechanically and "race-ability" equal, the R6 would likely be the better choice simply for the fact that parts and knowledge are readily available...

The RR has some issues which Honda is addressing related to the charging system, but I haven't seen any issues with it on the race bike since I don't have any of the lights on it.  Still, there are some issues indeed...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

QuoteI agree Dave, although I don't know any RR's that have popped.

All the bikes that the mags had popped.  It's common practice for manufacturers to send ringers to the mags...after all, people read that a bike is so good, they will go and  buy them.  This is all a whole issue all on its own that would take me volumes to expand upon.  At one time, I worked with the importers of Bimota motorcycles into North America.  Short story...the mag system here in the US is reasonably corrupt for advertising and reviews.

Regardless, Honda's "production race bikes" are not the same as the bikes you can get.  They are substantially different.  Potentially, the mags had the pre production race bikes...never intended for low RPM street use or long term use for that matter.  

The production bike seems to have issues that seem to be consistent in an amount of the RR's...

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129791

It's leaving a bad taste in some mouths.  I will admit that I feel that Japanese motorcycles are pretty reliable.  I wouldn't say that one is better than another.  However, Honda's image is pretty big, and this is a real visual cue to some kind of problem, if not some kind of an emmission problem.
Super Dave

garthed

Are you sure that the CA version has different cams and make less HP. I know that is the case with Yamaha but california suzuki has the same HP has a 49 state. I'm really close to getting the RR but now i'm concered about the Califonia version. I can't get a 49 state unless i register it in my dads name and then I get know contingency. Were did you here about lower HP.

Thanks
Garth

Jeff

I was basing it off the history with the F4 and F4i.  I can check part numbers tonight...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

garthed

OmniGLH

This has me curious now.  I'll have to talk to my cousin who is a service manager at a local Honda dealer to see if they've been getting these same complaints in that are mentioned here and on that SBN thread.

I have also heard through the grapevine that the Hondas aren't what they're cracked up to be.  I spoke with Jason of BRP (before he skipped town a few weeks ago...) and he said that of 5 or 6 customers he had with 600RRs, that ALL of them were low on power, dyno'ing in the low 80-82hp range (this was on a Mustang dyno - where your typical healthy 636 will make low-mid 90s...)  

Kind of disappointing.  I'm still very curious to ride one.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

mdr14

If you got big bucks, Get the 04 Suzuki GSXR 600

If you are on a budget, get a salvage 03 R6.

Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com