Fork tuning help

Started by twg, August 25, 2003, 03:20:17 PM

twg

I need some help with fork tuning.  I am riding a stock 2002 F4i.  Recently I raised the rear ride height by placing a few shims between the shock and subframe.  I did this to increase the swingarm angle to approximately 12.5 degrees.  This made a big difference in how the bike turned and tracked through high-speed turns.  However, this also created a problem under hard braking.  Now the bike really tends to stoppie, so much so that I find myself braking earlier than with the stock set up.

I ordered and have in stock Race Tech springs and a Gold Valve kit that I plan to install after the next few races.  In the mean time can I add a couple ounces of fork oil to minimize the nose dive and subsequent stoppies?  Will that cause more problems?  What are some other quick fix options?

Thanks.

Nate R

Possibly lowering the forks in the triples?  Yes, you can add a bit of fork oil.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tzracer

Adding fork oil will help. It stiffens up about the last third of the travel. I add 5mm at a time.

Might also try adding more rear rebound damping. This will keep the rear from extending as quickly and pushing the rear of the bike in the air.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

QuoteWill that cause more problems?  What are some other quick fix options?

Thanks.

Correct geometry, weight bias, and spring rate are the most important.  Quick fix?  Find a GMD Computrack center near you that can optimize the geometry.  That will get you into the ball park.  Really isn't a quick way around it.  Too much dampening is bad...too little makes the bike annoying.  Understanding the difference is priceless.  Really the going through the process will allow you to learn a whole lot (right, Nate?) as long as you have some kind of guide in it all.
Super Dave

twg

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am writing it all down and learning as I go.  I was asking for the quick fix because: 1.  I am a really slow mechanic, 2.  I have a race in a couple of weeks, 3.  Still trying to learn some of the tricks.

You know just about when I figure this out, I will quit riding.  Hmmm.  

Marcus McBain is going to work with me at TWS to help me get it better dialed.  It is amazing how he wastes his time with a F40 guy. :D :D

Thanks,

twg