Kids riding unattended at events

Started by EmerWil, August 25, 2003, 07:58:16 AM

EmerWil

OK...Anyone that takes offense to this I'll apologize in advance.

On more than one ocassion I have come close to hitting children on bicycles, dirt bikes, or ATV's at Summit Point.  Whether it's in the pit/paddock or in the infield trying to get drinks to the inside of 5,6,7 and 8, kids ride with little or no regard to other vehicles in the area.

Please, if you are a parent/gaurdian of one of these children, educate them on proper riding etiquette.  Too many parents seem to cut their kids loose at the track and let them do whatever.  

I believe Summit Point actually has a rule that no one under 16 is allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

Please.  Don't make me be the guy who accidently hits your child.

Photo_Chick

A couple months ago at Tally a 10 year old comes flying by me on a four wheeler around the back of the track where I was setting up to take pics.  He got the edge of a ditch, the four wheeler flipped and had him pinned under it.  Some guys got the four wheeler off and he ended up having to have surgery on his leg.  I held his head in my lap until the ambulance got there (they were on lunch when it happened).  Parents, watch your children at all times, the track is not a playground.  This little boy was very lucky, it could have been a lot worse!

MELK-MAN

AMEN.. dont know if you saw my thread about  Moroso but i comented on this as well.
At the end of the day, there is a VERY YOUNG child driving a 4-wheeler in the large paved pit/parking area. I shook my head but thought little more of it. im then closing teh side door on my trailer and took 1 STEP away from the door only to feel a sharp pain in my calf muscle as this kid TORPEDOED my trailer!!! She and her sister flew up off the seat and the left front wheel was stuck under the fender of the trailer. Had i not steped 1 step, im pretty sure i would have been seriously injured.
THe f****n dad didnt even say sorry...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

EmerWil

Actually Melk, your post was the reason I posted what I did.

On one ocassion I actually stopped the kid, and told him to take me back to his pit because I wanted to spreak to his parents.

Of course by the time I pulled up his mouth was going 1000 mph so I assumed he was tellin "mommie" his side of the story.

I wasn't rude, I wasn't a d*ck, I just said "maam. your son is riding in a very dangerous and reckless manner." and proceeded to tell her only a couple (there were more) of the things I saw her son do.

It's dangerous enough when we have to drive up and down the paddock all the time.  We're so busy watching for bikes crossing the pit roads that most of the time we're already doing 10 mph or less!

Like i said..if you don't want to watch your kids...don't bring them.

Jeff

My kids 8 & 12 have pretty much grown up at the track.  I bring them, and every now and again will bring their bicycles.  When I watch them whether walking, riding their bikes, etc they appear to follow what I've taught them about not moving during 3rd call, and watching out for bikes/riders/etc.  Most all of the race day they're well out of any place that would have a race bike.

After hours, once the races have stopped, on occassion I will take them riding in a large field, etc.  They're geared in full attire and under 100% supervision, nothing less, and nothing else would be acceptable.

Kids need to be supervised and the ones that aren't should know/understand/follow "the rules".

That said, we as riders need to bear a little bit of responsibility as we head to the grids or zip around on our pit bikes.  Pit speeds are 5-15 MPH (depending on where you're at) REGARDLESS of how late you are to your grid spot.  SLOW DOWN and keep an eye out!  People do bring kids and I don't care how good of a parent you are, every now and again a kid will run out or wander without thinking.

As for letting kids ride around at will during a race day?  Well, those "kids" need to be 16 with a drivers license...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EmerWil

Jeff,

I totally agree that some/most of the parents are aware of their children's actions while at the track. It's the 10%'ers that worry me...

It's a sad day that we also have to worry about potential abductions at the track as well.  It's not talked about but I'm sure it's on people's minds.

Jeff

hehe... I'm safe though... they'd return my boy after about 10 minutes  :o
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Eddie#200

My kid is 13 and has a good head on his sholders...I still don't let him ride around where I can't keep track of him.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Chuck in security at BHF sometimes has his hands full with some of the kids on motor vehicles. BHF requires anyone operatinf a motor vehicle to have a drivers license (or have a competition licesne).

Racers have to abide by the pit speeds also. But heres something that some people dont remember, race vehicles have right of way in the paddocks.

Back to the pit vehicles. I'm pretty sure theres a rule in the book that pit bikes/quads/golf carts have to have your competition number on them. Maybe only racers should be allowed to bring non-licensed motor vehilces to the track. Early this year some guy brought a quad up to BHF to watch the races and was doing wheelies across teh access road for most the day. NEarly hit a couple kids and some other people walking.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

EmerWil

Rob,

I agree that racers have the right of way (or at least should have the right away) but as with all things there are always the "get-out-of-my-way-I'm-a-racer" types that pass on both sides of me when I'm trying to navigate my vehicle thru the pit/paddock area.

We kind of have to watch out for them a little more because they're thinking about other things and not always about what and who's around them.

What gets frustrating is the racers/mechanics/guy retrieving the new tires that give u the hair eyeball when you don't get out of their way and then add on the pedestrians, vehicles stopping in the middle of pit road to chat to someone, kids on bikes/dirt bikes/skateboards/roller blades.  

can't we all just get along? hehe