News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

AM Airlifted out of BHF 8/24

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2003, 06:36:36 AM

Jeff

Anybody know any details?

The chopper was on the ground for a LONG time, so I'd believe it was pretty serious.  I just don't know who/how/condition.

If anyone has info, please post...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

KBOlsen

That was AM #73, Mike Firca...

He's at Rockford Memorial, in ICU.  Has a mild closed-head injury and they are keeping him sedated.  Each time the tried to cut back on the sedative, he would become combative and unable to respond to commands (common with this type of injury).  Also broke his elbow.

I'll keep you posted...

As an aside, this was his second helicopter ride... first one was at Blackhawk in '99. (that time, he was unconscious for an extended period of time and broke both wrists).
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

Pierre - Team PMR

Kim, thanks for the info

I was the other guy involved in the crash.  Not 100% sure how it all happened, but from what I can tell he got in the back of me when I got a little bit on the inside apron in turn 7.  I low sided and he high sided.  One corner worker said that the bikes tumbled on top of us.

Mike, Get well soon!!!
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

KBOlsen

GOOD NEWS!!!

I just got off the phone with Mike's mother, at the hospital... They have taken him off of the respirator (while he WAS breathing on his own, it wasn't strong enough) - he is now breathing 100% on his own.  The brain scans came back negative (this is a good thing, LOL)... they had him in a cervical collar but that will most likely be removed this afternoon, and his elbow will only require a soft cast!

Other than that, he has a bruised lung and numerous bruises on his back and right side.  He's still pretty much 'out of it'  - Morphine is the drug du jour, it seems - but hopefully he'll be moved into a regular room in a day or so.

1fastmofo

:) That's awesome!

I don't know Mike, but I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Jeff

Oh man...  I saw the two bikes, but didn't know who went out on the chopper...

Glad to hear he's doing better.  Prayers on the way  :)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

oldguy

Thanks, Kim. That is good news for sure.

KBOlsen

Good news from Rockford Memorial!!!

Mike has been moved out of ICU.  He's still in "special care" but all the tests have come back clear and he'll probably be "visitable" in another 48 hours.  They're still keeping him heavily sedated - he's still combative/incoherent but he IS[\b] doing better.

My understanding is that he will be able to receive visitors in another two days.

Keep those prayers and good thoughts coming!

amydiaz

Get well soon Mike.  We are all thinking about ya.

Amy

the_weggie_man

Kim,

Be sure to get our contact info to Mike's family in case he needs our help.

Super Dave

Ouch, glad to hear that things are going well.
Super Dave