Street vs Track?

Started by EM JAY, August 19, 2003, 07:58:46 AM

EM JAY

Just wondering how many racers have stoped riding street since they started racing?   Before I started I had heard that alot of guys/girls no longer ride street once they started riding the track?

I will admit that street does not come close to the rush and excitement of racing or even track days, but I'm not ready to give up street....just yet....
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

StumpysWife

Stumpy rides his 929 to work and back everyday...it's his summer vehicle.  However, he does not enjoy it like he used to before he raced.  He doesn't go for rides anymore unless it's with me on my bike.  We've got some great twisty roads for day trips around here, so it is fun to go out on a nice day for a cruise--no more shrattin' anymore for Stump on the street.  Between deer, trees, giant mosquitos and cars, too scary :o .  

It's cute though, he's got the other street guys switching to GP shifting...

raptorduck952

The only thing I ride on the street now is my BMW R1200C cruiser. I ride it slow and mellow and don't mind street racers on GSXR 1000's blowing by me doing wheelies and looking at me I am some slow cruiser idiot getting in their way.

KBOlsen

Street riding has definitely changed for me... I've pretty much given up "recreational" riding (long-distance touring) because my money and vacation time all go somewhere else (for the second year in a row, I've put on more miles on the track than on the street!).  I will always commute (the bagger is great for going to the grocery store and running errands, and seems to get me to/from work a little more quickly than the car)... but something is definitely different.  

Getting off the TL and getting on the Harley makes me notice things about the bike that I never felt before (it's suddenly become very heavy, and WALLOWS its way through turns - a really funky oscillating kind of feeling when leaning at anything over 85... dragging hard parts is not at all comfy and I'd really like to upgrade the brakes).  

I also have less patience for traffic and find it increasingly difficult to obey posted speed limits.  Probably not a good thing.  (John says I'm on my own for the next engine rebuild).  Maybe it's good that the "other" TL is nowhere near being ready to return to "street trim".  Then, there's the gear issue.  Suddenly, I'm extremely aware of things like my knees and body parts in general.  Think I'd really like to have a 2-piece suit before "streeting" the other TL.  And yeah, I'm wearing a helmet a lot more, too.  
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

tigerblade

I haven't ridden on the street at all this year but probably would a little if I had multiple bikes.  The main thing I miss is just riding with my buddies.  
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TZDeSioux

I haven't ridden a street bike since I quit riding motorcycles in 1994. Now that I race, I just drive my 2002 Ferrari 360 Modena on the street  :)

MightyDuc Racing

I very rarely will borrow my dad's Bandit 600 to ride, or my buddy Butch's 748, but it just isn't any fun for me on the street.  I tend to ride really close to the speed limit and am very aware that I am not wearing leathers, etc.  Mainly, my street riding since I started hitting the track consists of a run around the neighborhood to bed in brake pads. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

diesel748

Riding on the street is to dangerous. I'll stick to racing and driving superducks 360 Bri will you be @ BFR this weekend?

DanO966

I get tooooo many tickets on the street >:(
But the only thing the street is good for is WHEELIES!! ;D ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

ScubaSteve

I dont ride on the street much. Sold my R1 to buy the Sv and started racing every once in awhile i will borrow a bike to take my women riding or i jump on my dads Harley dresser and drag the floor boards down some twisties freaking out all the squids on the street. You should see there faces when they get passed by a big old farts dresser dragging the floor boards!!! ;D
Steve

CCS FL

Steviebee

When im driving to work or somewhere and i see soem bikes go by,  
first thought:  Squids !  No helmets, no gloves, T-shirts and jeans.

Second thought:
I miss riding my bike around town and for a few hours on the weekends.

Then While at the Track:
For Instance going into T3 in 4th place in ULSS on the first lap at last weekends races,  with just inches between each bike,
THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN RIDING ON THE STREET!!

ninelives59

I have a street bike still but it does not get rode that often.2002 gsxr 1000 with only 1200 miles.I have never rode without a helmet or ride at the level that i ride on the race track..  
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S