Traveling troubles

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, August 18, 2003, 02:56:53 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

On my way down to Barber Friday night I hit a number of Alabama pot holes (pronounced asteroid craters!) and ended up ripping a wheel completely off of my trailer! Luckily I have a tandem axle trailer and I was able to limp it to the hotel. Ripped the studs completely out of the brake drum and I lost my forged aluminum wheel, sure glad I had a spare one. Wasted all of Saturday doing nothing but driving all over Birmingham trying to find studs and lug nuts that where long enough. Finally got the whole thing back together Sunday morning at 2am after alot of rigging!

I heard that a number of other people had some traveling misfortunes also. What else happened out there?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Steviebee

potholes ??

We drove down from Indianapolis and survived with no problems.  Guess ill have to go check out my trailer a bit more.

But i just had a small 6x12 with single axle and 2 bikes and gear.  But we were going mostly 80 mph the entire way.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quotepotholes ??

We drove down from Indianapolis and survived with no problems.  Guess ill have to go check out my trailer a bit more.

The craters my trailer was mysteriously sucked into were in construction zones both on and off of the interstate in the Bermingham area. It was like 1:30am Saturday morning when I was trying to find a hotel room and found several of these wheel eaters instead! Admittedly after a 12 1/2 hour drive by myself I was very tired and was more focused on hotels than road surface conditions, my mistake! It was raining at this time and the craters were filled with water making them somewhat inconspicuous.

I picked up new correct studs and lugnuts today along with an extra 6 incase this ever happens again. Also to add insult to injury my truck's jack was missing the handle when I went to use it, buying a small floor jack to keep with me from now on. (of course now it won't ever happen again! ;D)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Photo_Chick

The roads going there are really rough.  By the time I get there my brain is jarred!