News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Who saw the crash during the team challenge

Started by Dawn, August 11, 2003, 01:25:47 PM

Dawn

A family friend and fellow racer of Artie Wagner is trying to piece together exactly what happened in his crash.  He has heard several conflicting stories of the event.

If you could e-mail me at:  buxton@frontiernet.net I will be sure to pass this information along to him.

Thanks,

Dawn  

EX#996

Yeah, I read that.  However Ray stated to me today he is getting a lot of different stories as to what really happened.  He just wants to know for sure, not only for himself, but for Artie's family also.  

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

pitbtch#1

the corner workers that were working that corner were from gateway so i dougt there on the board

bruteforceracing

There were no riders that saw the accident that were on the course as I was the only one behind him. It did not appear that the corner worker at 8 saw the accident. The guy at turn 8 had his back to the corner. Unless he turned right after the wreck. There were three people at the turn 9. So one of them may have seen it. I do recall seeing some people on top of the overpass that should have seen it. Art passed me going into turn 5. I followed him for a few laps and passed him in turn 12 (last one before the front straight) He got me again in turn 5 and then wrecked at turn 8. I can tell you by the time I got to the top of the crest for turn 8 he was right about at the wall. He was hauling butt. I didnt get a chance to see what caused it. I was a little surprised though to complete that lap, another full lap and then be red flagged at turn 5 of the following lap before we came in to the pits. I hope Art is doing well and has a quick recovery.

Burt Munro

I was working Tech/Grid at Heartland and know the corner worker who was the first on the accident scene.
He immediately called in the accident to Control and put out a red flag.    

At the cornerworker meeting after the accident and at the riders meeting the next day it was acknowledged that there was a radio problem at Control that prevented a fullcourse red flag to go out immediately.

As far as the fire is concerned, my understanding is that it was initiated by the hot bike lying on very dry grass - more so than gas from the bike being ignited by the hot bike.  The cornerworker also said that he didn't see what iniated the accident as the rider started losing it just uptrack from his corner station. He was looking down the track and only saw it as it continued into his line of sight.

I am hoping to be able to go to a MCRA meeting this evening and the that the corner worker will be there.  Dawn, if he is there I will get your address to him and he should be able to contact you.

Regardless, I will hopefully be able to get some more info tonight.   My daughter has a traffic court date that may limit what time I can get to the meeting.

Rick    
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Dawn

Thanks Rick.  I appreciate your help.

Dawn   :)

Super_KC124

If he did have some kind of high speed wobble in the straight, it could have pushed the front brake pads out, therefore, no brakes. This could account for the high speed of the crash. I know this is just speculation, but....  :-/

Burt Munro

Welllll.....  thanks to the wonderful municipal court system where I live I didn't make it to the MCRA (Gateway) meeting tonight.  I'll see if I can't get ahold of the cornerworker who responded to the Art's accident some other way.

My thoughts and prayers are with Art and his famly and friends as well.  

Hey Kevin,
Although this isn't the thread for lighthearted comments, I wanted to let you know I finally connected your face with your screen name.  I'm the guy who camped next to your pit area who has the BMW Boxer Cup Replika.  I'm sure I'll see you at the Gateway races coming up!

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!