News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Race school question

Started by funksouljon, July 31, 2003, 12:26:46 AM

funksouljon

I am looking to take a school in the off-season, so my question is who has taken which, and what are your feelings on the school? Purpose is to drop times, etc. for a current racer not a licensing school.
Anyone know of schools after the season that will be in the SE region? Looking for November on.

After the Class school in early Oct, no dates are posted.
Cornerspeed has a couple viable options but man, VIR in early Nov is gonna be chilly! :) Full course though.
Team Hammer has one, but it will be at the ROC and I cannot go to that.
For the money that I would spend going to Cali for a school, I could pay for Stu and myself and chase him around Jennings 3 seperate weekends, so that isn't really what I want. But if I have to.....

funksouljon

Oh, and if you have a school and don't want to post it for fear of the forum Nazis ( :D ) slamming you for self-promotion, feel free to email me at requiredaddy@hotmail.com

Super Dave

I don't have a school that late.  We might be playing on the ice by then.

Eric Wood usually has a school in December or something at Jennings.  Leave the California schools to California.  
Super Dave

1fastmofo

I took Eric Wood's Penguin school this past weekend at Loudon. I liked it. I really paid attention and changed my riding style as per his suggestion. It definitely paid off. I saved a few slides that weekend and could really feel what the bike was doing, just by changing my body position.

Eric also said something that is so simple but I never thought about it. He said on the track you should only be doing 3 things. Accelerating as fast as you can. Braking as hard as you can. Turning as hard as you can. I thought about that my next time out, and I caught myself "coasting around". I applied what he said and dropped 3 seconds off my lap time instantly.

The only minor thing that I was suprised by was the fact that we didn't get a T-shirt or even some stickers. But for $220, I improved my riding, learned the track and became much more confident.

This Spring I took Aaron Stevenson's Cornerspeed school. It was organized a little better. You would have classroom sessions then track time to apply what you learned. Then another class session, then more track time. Plus you got a T-shirt and a big package of Motul goodies. Lots of good stuff!

Both schools were definitely worth the money. I'd recommend both.

MightyDuc Racing

Penguin School at Homestead in December.  It's on the Friday before the CCS races.  I am taking it if I have any cash by then...lol.  I think it's December 5-6-7, or something very close to that.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

StuartV666

Keith Code's RACE School will be at Jennings September 11 - 12, I believe. I am tentatively planning to attend that, myself.

http://www.coderace.com

If you read the info on the website, it might give you the impression that the school is targeted at people who want to race, rather than people who already do. But I talked to Keith and Cobie at Laguna and got more info. Basically, the student-instructor ratio is about 2:1. And they pretty much cater to each student's needs with a "customized" (somewhat) program.

It's $1600 for two days, if you use your own bike and gear. $2200 if you want to ride one of their 636s. Considering the cost of tires, it might be "free" to use their bike.

- Stu

phillip

CornerSpeed is a great school. Early November at VIR is usually in the 60's. Also check out other dated at www.cornerspeed.net. Check out the feedback on NESBA bbs http://www.nesba.com/bb/Forum12/HTML/000160.html
Phillip
EX 56
Cornerspeed.net

Super Dave

QuoteIt's $1600 for two days, if you use your own bike and gear. $2200 if you want to ride one of their 636s. Considering the cost of tires, it might be "free" to use their bike.

- Stu

Ok, for $1600 for two days, I would give a rider a one to one ratio.

I'm working with someone this Saturday.  I think he'll have a bill for less than $700, but he's got me for the whole day (he procrastinated on making the decision, so it costs more)....we'll be playing at a NESBA day.
Super Dave