News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What's your favorite track and why?

Started by RickyRacer, October 23, 2001, 06:40:19 AM

lightweightgp

Favorite tracks:

Las Vegas Classic Road Course - repaved recently, amazing grip, smooth, nice layout, lots of slow and medium corners, nice and wide.

Streets of Willow - if the surface was more consistent it would be #1.  Tight, two fast parts, the bowl rules.  

Buttonwillow - the pavement totally sucks, but i love the layout.  The two blind corners are a total rush.  Turn 2 is a challenge that even the fast experts have trouble with.    The sweeper (turn 7--8??)  is a gut check.   May be comparable to turns 8-9 at the Big Track at Willow Springs, but I have not been on that track, so i don't know.

Phoenix Intl. - actually really fun, except for the "bus stop" where you go from the infield to the NASCAR track.   Kinda short.   Nice facilities, of course.

Tracks I suspect are real fun, but I have not yet raced there:

-  California Speedway

- Arizona Motorsports Park - track day 3/22!!!

Decreasing_Dave

I've noticed that no-one has picked Firebird East as their Fav.

Yeah...me too

r1owner

I wonder where Barber is going to rank once people get on it?

G 97

Putnam- lots of traction, a little bit of everything.

VIR- Roller coaster, smooth. Technical, makes Grattan vanilla

Heartland Park- First win, Counter clockways, awsome chicane

Brainerd- Turn one thru T2 WFO needs to be experienced

Road America- big, wide track, Kettle Bottoms rule. No off camber.

MAM- still learning. Flat but has about everything else

Road Atlanta- "name" track, you like down hill off camber

BHF- point and shoot, got brakes? good to learn shifting, throttle

Gingerman- Fun little track

Grattan- been there once, need to go back

Beaver Run- new smooth, simple short track, long drive

Laguna Seca- spectator. Bay area is awsome

Pikes Peak- Bowl, elevation sucks

Gateway- Love the infield. Transition to front straight not worth it

G

Chef

Quotenah uh.... no I don't. I was telling the truth. I really did do that at Sugo. :)

;D       ;D       ;D       ;D         ;D       ;D      ;D      ;D       ;D       ;D      ;D     ;D

no words !!!

nah uh ........ im cryin !!!
LMAO !!!
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Thingy

Of the tracks that I have been too:

1) Road America:  Great Faciilites, beautiful track and the carousel...

2) Hallett:  Been there twice, once in each direction.  This track is just plain fun.  I like counter-clockwise the best.  How could you not like a track that has a corner called 'the B i t c h'.

3) Tie
Grattan: The bowl, the elevation changes, going for a swim if your not careful.
Gingerman:  Very technical, nothing to hit.

5) Blackhawk:  Now that it is paved.

6) Gateway:  I like a track that is flowing and not point and shoot.  T2 and the carousel are a blast.  The homemade chicane sucks and I lost a championship there.

7) Heartland Park:  Fun layout, but crappy surface, no food service, and no camping.

Tracks that I still want to race on:
1) Barber
2) Putnam
3) Brainerd
4) Daytona
5) MAM
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

r6_philly

VIR, very technical, 3 different sections, really require skill and learning to get really fast there.

Summit, fast and flowing, great places for passing, although the straight is a little too long for my liking, they should have start/finish at pit out.

Daytona, I fell in love after one weekend. It is intimidating when you get in the track for the first time through the tunnel, and you go really really really slow because you don't know where or what you are supposed to be doing. But after a few races, you get the grove, and you will feel like no where else. Something about making a long turn while you bike is not going any faster... and drafting is very cool too. It is fun and exhilarating. I can go to any track and just ride, at daytona, I get a thrill

Super Dave

QuoteI wonder where Barber is going to rank once people get on it?

I've met Mr Barber on several occasions, and the civil engineer on the project is a racer that I know.  

I think it will be like flying to Europe to a high class world championship type track.  I need to go...
Super Dave

T595

another of the few from the pacific region.... (well I'm slow, fat and old so take thes with a grain of salt)....
    Thunderhill - variety of fast and tight, blind and sweeping, incredible!!!!
    Buttonwillow - slower tech. track but fun, fun, fun...
    Fontana (ama course) everything except the front straight, even T-1 is neat but the straight seems long and akward.
    Streets of Willow - very fun little track, challenging except T-4 (that $uck$)
    Las Vegas Classic course another fun little track the back sweep into T-7 is sick....
    Willow springs raceway all about how big your nuts are, fast, fast, fast.......

OmniGLH

I haven't ridden too many tracks...

Grattan - the most fun of the tracks I've ridden.  Keeps you busy.  I like the twisty-ness, the elevation changes, and the fact that it's very technical.  It's a challenge to figure it out and nail down two good laps in a row.

BHF - fun, more fun than I expected it to be.  But simple.  Nothing too technical or too challenging.  The hardest part about the track was learning to ignore the bumps and just RIDE it.  

RA - kinda boring.  Go straight and really fast... BRAKE!!!... take a 90-degree corner... and go straight and really fast again... BRAKE!!!... repeat.  Sure, the kink is really f-in hairy.  But the track reminds me too much of going out and blasting backroads here in IL.

That's it.  I've *driven* some other tracks back when I did a few driving schools with my Omni GLH... IRP and Waterford Hills in MI.  Both fun in a car... IRP would get boring on a bike I think.  Waterford might be ok... but it's also been a few years since I've been there so I don't remember it all too well.

Tracks I want to ride:  
Gateway - it seems you either love it or hate it.  
Mid-Ohio - if anything, just to say I've ridden where the AMA guys do
BIR - I have GOT to try that 6th gear WOT turn 1
Laguna - any explanation needed?
Daytona - see Mid-Ohio
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Zanyeights

1) Road Atlanta- It's  a real confidence inspiring track.  It's one of the easier tracks to go fast.
2) Laguna Seca- It's Laguna!  A world class facility with outstanding pavement.  Would be my number one but I lowsided in Four and still don't know why.
3) VIR- Super sweet track.  Beautiful pavement (have not been there since they straightened out the uphill scetion).  Super technical and hard to go real fast.  Have yet to figure out how to go fast on the downhill section.  Raced a 6 hour endurance there that is near to my heart!
4) Buttonwillow-  Great rhythm track.  Some small sweet elevation changes and some sections that really seperate the men from the boys.  Would rank higher but don't dig the last flat righthander with the pavement transitions in the middle of it.

Honorable Mentions:

5)  Carolina-  Neat layout but I could never go very fast there.  The tight turns really fouled me up.
6) Putnam-  Great track.  First track where I was actually competitive.  Wish they wern't so strict on camping and hangin out.
7) Gateway-  I won a race there as a novice (my only one) so it has a pretty special place in my heart.
8)  Summit Point-  Great track since they repaved it.  Gives us non-regulars a chance.  Great rhythm sections.  Would be higher but the facilites leave a lot to be desired.  Was my first race in July of 98.
9)  Las Vegas-  Has some really fun sections.  Great traction and the bumps and transisitons aren't to nerve racking.

Tracks not too fond of:

10) Both Phoenix tracks
11) Both Willow tracks.  The big track is fun but you have to have super large balls to go fast!  The little track needs new pavement.
12)  Memphis and Indy (I don't think anybody runs there anymore)-  Too many holes and I dread drag strip tracks.
13)  Atlanta Motor Speedway-  Kind of fun now that I look back but real rough and lots of jumps!
14)  Talladega-  I have wrecked more times there than anywhere.  I don't know why.  I prefer the bigger flowing tracks.

I try and ride one new track every season.  This year I am planning on Pahrump.  

hdpromos

1. Moroso
2. Homestead
3. Jennings GP

or maybe:

1. Homestead
2. Jennings GP
3. Moroso

Maybe:

1.Jennings GP
2. Moroso
3. Homestead