News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fuel life span SUPER DAVE QUESTION

Started by Jeff, July 22, 2003, 02:35:01 PM

Jeff

Hey Super Dave (or anyone qualified to answer).

I still have 6 gallons of the power mist concoction we made at Road A in late April.  It's been in my basement which is relatively cool (68-70 deg) and out of sunlight.

How long will this stuff last?

I meant to bring it this weekend to burn in the new RR, but I forgot to and the crew chief didn't have room after I called and had her bring tires (along with the kids, dog, etc)...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Well, that's a good question.

You used the oxygenate in pump gas?

Regardless, pump gas only has a real shelf life of about 14 to 28 days before it starts deteriorating.

Racing fuels are much better;  more stable.  

Plastic containers breath.  So, any oxygenates begin to dissapate first.  The volume might not go down, but the part you want there goes away.

If it was stored on the floor, it might have condensation in it.  Especially if you open it.

I have had good luck after winter storage with fuels that have been in my tank, but I'll use a stabilizer just to keep things kind of protected.

So, where did you store it (on the gound), plastic container, and what was the mix that we made?
Super Dave

Jeff

It was the mix we made, T111, Nitro-X and pump gas.

On the concrete in my basement in a plastic gas container.

This is my main concern, but also raises the question of how I should store the rest of the Nitro-X that I have in the metal container...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Ok, yeah, that's a good mix.

T111 is probably good, but the oxygenates that were in the pump gas and in the Nitro X are not the same as they were.  

So, will it blow up your motor?  No.  It might be ok, and you might not notice a difference from how the fuel mix was before.  It's a real throw of the dice....

But it won't harm anything, including a lawn mower.

I have used old Nitro Plus in my snow blower (it has nitro methane in it...so I do have the best smelling snow equipment), after a season...months after.

I'd use it up.  Use some in the bike to see if it has good kick.  If not, run it out in practice, etc.  You wouldn't want to put it in your car since T111 is leaded.  That will plate the oxygen sensor on your car/van/etc.
Super Dave