News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Water Temps?

Started by Nate R, July 14, 2003, 01:17:24 PM

Nate R

Just ordered a water temp gauge, and I was thinking. So, Im conductng a survey.

Please list:

Bike/Year
Est Average Temp or temp Range during racing
Highest temp ever seen on this bike street or race.

Just curious, especially about the SV, and I'm interested to compare other bikes.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

ScubaSteve

I just put a Spa tach on my SV and i went to Jennings last week the highest it read was 158 seems low to me. Then again im still trying to figure out how to work the damn thing. ;D
Steve

CCS FL

Protein Filled

Nate,

On the SV the thermostat opens at 180. You should see the temp somewhere around there most of the time while moving/riding. When sitting on the pits, the temp will go all the way up to 220. Anything above that and you should turn off the bike (or start moving around if you don't have a fan). It will start boiling out the overflow somewhere around 235 or so. Set your temp alarm to 220.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

TZ_Boy

Edgar are you coming to Blackhawk this weekend?  I was hoping to run into you in LGP.

Protein Filled

Unfortunately no, waiting on my shipment of cranks to arrive. You get a good deal when you send them in bulk...

I should have 4 of them coming, so that should keep me busy for a few more weeks. I am pretty sure that I will be at Topeka, if I can motivate some of my teammates to come along.

Also, about LWGP,  they made me bump up to expert, so I would have to wait for you second wavers...how did you manage to stay novice? :D
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Nate R

Edgar, thanx!

I thought that the SV would be somewhere around 180. Boils over at 235? Ok, cool. What's with these temp gauges for cars that go up to 280!?  ??? Do they really get that hot?

I don't have a temp alarm --- getting an Analog car gauge. I'll just have to glance at it when I come down the front straight. Made the mistake of getting a mechanical gauge at first, but I have an electric one on the way. (No way a mechanical one would be worth the trouble installing the sensor)   Range is 100-250F, so that should work well, and provide a fair enough bit of accuracy. $50.  :D
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

TZ_Boy

Quote.
Also, about LWGP,  they made me bump up to expert, so I would have to wait for you second wavers...how did you manage to stay novice? :D

I knew they bumped you, I was planning on running into you anyway. ;D  I think the trick to staying amateur is staying under 500 points.

Eric Kelcher

Well GSXR750 110 air temp ran 4 hour endurance at 235-245 no problems but I did have a few mods in the motor ceramic and moly coated pistons from Poly Dyn. I checked thermostat after race and it was fine, water level was fine, compression was good. Just a real hot day on a short track that did not get the air flow through radiator.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

OmniGLH

'01 GSX-R750... on the really hot August race weekends, seems she averages 200-205 during a race.  Seems pretty stable there.  On the cooler weekends it may run a few degrees cooler, ~195-ish.  I've seen 225 on it before when it was a streetbike (sitting in traffic.)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak