News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Stumpy took a spill

Started by StumpysWife, July 13, 2003, 02:04:28 PM

StumpysWife

So anyway, Stumpy been training pretty hard getting ready for BHF.  He takes off yesturday on his trusty mountain bike.  I get a call about 20 minutes after he left.  He says, "Heather, a tree fell on me...come get me."  I'm thinking, great, off to the ER for this???  And so it goes like this...

Stumpy was pedalling along up this steep road up to a place called Marquette Mountain.  He has on his MP3 player but hears a ruckus in the woods.  He thinks it's another biker or a car.  Next thing he knows, he wakes up next to his bike, still clipped into his pedals with a tree branch laying on top of him.  He was woozy so he quick called me.  This branch was at least 10 inches in diameter and nailed him square on the head and fell from about 50' up.  Luckily he was wearing his helmet.  I pulled up pretty soon after and he was still sitting there next to his friend the branch.  He has some road rash on his elbow and hip and a pretty nice lump on the other hip from where the branch landed I guess.  

So I start loading his bike up into my truck and he stops me after moving the branch into the woods and decides he's good to go, despite my objections!!!!  And off he went on his bike!!!  I guess he's taking this bike training thing pretty serious on all levels.  

I think he should have bought a lottery ticket right then.  What are the chances????  Good grief.  Stumpy's fine and will be at BHF and VRS on Thursday on his HONDA.  It's just funny after all this racing this summer and he gets taken out by an angry birch tree.  

Yet another lesson on the importance of helmets.  

I think we'll just keep Stumpy on the big bikes.

EX#996

Wow!  I'm glad to hear he's OK.

Paul and I were walking through the woods one day and a branch fell and hit Paul just grazing the front of his forehead.  His hat fell off, his glasses were bent and he had a cut on his forehead.  The branch impacted the ground with such a force that it sunk 4" into the ground.  If Paul was another 2 - 3" forward, he could have been killed.

Thank God Stumpy's OK.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

I hate when those trees jump out and get me! :o ;D

Glad he's okay. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Steviebee

Last week, while on the mountain bike.
I got caught out in a Thunderstorm, actuall it was a really really bad thunderstorm,  so i figure ehh  its only water.  Then i can hear the tornado sirens going off.  Nowhere to hide so i kept going.

Got back to civilization and theres some cars pulled over under an overpass, boy did they give me a funny look as i went peddling by.

But dammit someone at work got me sick with the flu or something some now im babying myself in hopes of a recovery by Thursday !!

Pierre - Team PMR

Man...what luck!  Glad he's ok.

Steviebee - hope you get better before Thursday
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

OmniGLH

My best friend in HS totalled his car out, and he SWORE that the tree jumped out in front of him.  I thought he was full of sh*t.

I guess I'd better have more faith in the stories my friends tell me....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

THE_D.O.C.

which begs the question for stumpy to answer...... if a tree falls in the forest..... and you have an MP3 player blasting...... does it make a sound?

i kill me.

Dawn

Quotei kill me.

So if you are dead.....  

How are you posting on this BBS?   ???

Dawn   8)

THE_D.O.C.

i didn't say i killed me clown.  ;)

StumpysWife

Quoteif a tree falls in the forest..... and you have an MP3 player blasting...... does it make a sound?

For the record and direct from Stumpy (who perhaps now should be called Branchy or Birch Bark Butt), "Yes".  

Dawn

Quotei didn't say i killed me clown.  ;)

Yes you did....

I even quoted it.

Dawn   :)

THE_D.O.C.

no.... i said "i kill me"

not  "i killed me"

:-*