News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Painting

Started by tshort, July 09, 2003, 01:47:34 PM

tshort

Anyone have any luck doing their own paint with rattle cans?  I've been using Rustoleum on my bike, and it works great in yellow - in fact sometimes I think it's easier to paint the thing than wash it ;).

Now that I've got some new bodywork on the way, tho, I'm thinking this may be my chance to change the color scheme a bit, and go with silver bodywork.  But I'm not so sure how that will look using the rattle can technology.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Tips?  No, I don't want to buy a compressor and set up a paint booth in my basement/garage/living room.  
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

spyderchick

Tom, if you want, give me a call and we'll set up a time in the evening when you can pick up your leathers and Roger can show you the best technique to use to get a good result. It's not difficult, but there is a skill involved. Anyone can do it with the right product and a little coaching. :D  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TZDeSioux

Senor Tomas.
I always use Rustoleum to paint my bodywork. Sand with 600 grit paper before painting and make sure the surface is clean.. it will come out looking beautiful like me.

Nate R

Alexa, would Roger mind showing me that some time as well, if I came by? I'd like to see the proper way to do it.....I made a few mistakes with my paint job this year, a couple MAJOR ones, too.  :-/ But I plan on sanding and repainting in the off season.....Bike's gonna look great next year  :)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tshort

QuoteAlexa, would Roger mind showing me that some time as well, if I came by? I'd like to see the proper way to do it.....I made a few mistakes with my paint job this year, a couple MAJOR ones, too.  :-/ But I plan on sanding and repainting in the off season.....Bike's gonna look great next year  :)

Maybe we need a "how to paint" clinic/bbq/beer drinking session?  I'll host, if Roger/Alexa/you want to come over?
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

spyderchick

Tom, can I bring my dog? (you know she luvs ya!) I'll talk to the other half and perhaps we can set it up.

Nate, Roger is always happy to show people how to paint. You should see him cringe during Trading Spaces when they just randomly spray stuff.

"My god! They're not even getting half the paint where it's supposed to go, and it's all blotchy!!!! Someone should show them how to spray a can of paint!"
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Nate R

Good Idea tom!  :D I'm up for it if I can be there when you guys are free.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Dawn

LOL!!!!

Tom, I just noticed this in your signature line:

Quote"Or until you find yourself sliding into the infield." -TKS

Too funny.  I'm glad to see you have retained your sense of humor.

Dawn   :)

tshort

QuoteLOL!!!!

Too funny.  I'm glad to see you have retained your sense of humor.

Dawn   :)

Well, Dawn, like they say - If I didn't laugh...

Nate - as for the painting BBQ idea, Alexa and I decided it would be better done at her place than mine, since that's where Roger's gear is.  so I think we'll have to postpone the BBQ idea.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tigerblade

I will never recognize you with silver bodywork.  Sorry, but you have to keep it yellow.   :P  ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

crazycurrie

QuoteAnyone have any luck doing their own paint with rattle cans?  I've been using Rustoleum on my bike, and it works great in yellow - in fact sometimes I think it's easier to paint the thing than wash it ;).

Now that I've got some new bodywork on the way, tho, I'm thinking this may be my chance to change the color scheme a bit, and go with silver bodywork.  But I'm not so sure how that will look using the rattle can technology.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Tips?  No, I don't want to buy a compressor and set up a paint booth in my basement/garage/living room.  
I can tell you from first hand experiance that silver paint is very anoying >:( I painted the race body of my 954 and it took nearly 6 cans of paint! the body was primered light grey but the silver metallic paints spray on real thin and require several coats to look good or decent ::)