News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I hate that!!???

Started by motard11, June 29, 2003, 09:25:26 PM

motard11

Dont you hate it when your out with the boys and you get a damn flat >:( The tires are new of corse and its a small hole.....Do you think its ok to have it patched (the wright way) on the inside, would you trust a patch,or is it safe at speeds like 160+  Advice gladly taken....Motard11 :-/

Steviebee

Shops here dont patch MC tires !!!

Thats all i know !

EX#996

I know is been done before, but I wouldn't trust it.

Dawn  :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Gumby647

I wouldn't have problem using a patched tire for commuting at leagal speeds, I've done it in the past. But I wouldn't go 160 on it.

Hey I know, you can get it patched and use it to practice rolling burn outs.

Woofentino Pugrossi

I've plugged my rear tire many times. NEver had a problem ever. Wont plug a front tire unless its an emergency though.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

998R

Technically, if you plug a tire, the speed rating is supposed to drop.

I will never plug a tire.  Our sport is too dangerous even with good tires.  My only experience with a flat was coming off an "on" ramp on an Interstate.  The bike started behaving funny as I was accelerating and I immediately pulled off.  I'd picked up a nail in the rear tire that tore a hole so big that I watched the tire deflate to "0" in about 30 seconds.  If I'd ignored what the bike was doing, there is no doubt the result would have been quite a bit different.

As an example, Michelin Pilot Race fronts are only rated to 149 mph, and the rears to 167 mph (at least that is what the stickers on the tires say).  Michelin is covering their liability even with a brand new race tire.  Motorcycle tires are subjected to different kinds of stress than car/truck tires...more sidewall stress, higher temperatures because of the speed, etc.  Also, understand that no racer will ever run a plugged tire, so that should tell you something.

The real question is does the money you save by plugging a tire justify the risk of it failing later and the expense involved in fixing the aftermath?

dwilson

If this is for your street bike, it sonds like an excellent oppurtunity to find some race take offs...

I don't know about plugging, every street bike I've ever owned has had tubes  ;)  I personally would trust having it patched from the inside, but I'm also crazy.

MELK-MAN

Quote Dont you hate it when your out with the boys and you get a damn flat >:( The tires are new of corse and its a small hole.....Do you think its ok to have it patched (the wright way) on the inside, would you trust a patch,or is it safe at speeds like 160+  Advice gladly taken....Motard11 :-/

what tire do ya need? i have 180 take offs and a nearly new 190 rear off my friends new r1.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

motard11

Melk,  Im all over your take offs...Esp the ones off the R1...Are you going to jennings this weekend? If not where are you at?   Based on how small the hole in the tire is ,and what it looks like I am d#%n tempted to do an inside patch....I would never PLUG a m/c tire unless it was an erergency!!! Looking foreward to hearing from the "MELK"..................Motard11 :D

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteLooking foreward to hearing from the "MELK"..................Motard11 :D

Well Motard, I'm not the "MELK"....but I have plugged a tire from the inside before.

I had it on my R1,  Didn't slow me down or anything (but then, niether does running off the track ;D).  I attained top speeds both on straights and turns without a hitch.  I've had friends that have done the same.

Must be patched from the inside though.  :o

motard11

D.Dave, I plan on takeing (tire) to my local shop. If its as small as I think its prob. gettin a patch (inside is the only option) Thanks, now I wont feel so bad and if I get hurt I promise not to blame you :-X The other Dave......Motard11 :D.......Hay Melk...Where are you ???

THE_D.O.C.

i've ridden on plugged itrs and never had a problem. put a patch on the inside though.  :)