News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Anyone with an SV

Started by Nate R, June 24, 2003, 06:41:24 PM

Nate R

What kind of tach do you have? Anyone got a <$200 solution that WORKS?  :'(   I think that i may have gotten screwed over with the tach I got....It works, but doesn't seem to be compatible with the SV, thus I can't return it, but I can't use it.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

EX#996

Nate:

I noticed your post earlier about trouble shooting the tach.  However, I don't know if the solution can be found on-line.

Didn't you have a Daytona tach on before?  

Call the Suzuki shop in your area and see if you can pick their brain a little bit.  Or, at BHF perhaps some of the SV guys can get together and look at it for you.

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

dave333

I'll give you my idea for free.  No tach, just 2 Harlan shift lights.  He might even give you a deal on them...  You mount them on the fairing stay.  The left most one is set for the rpm level you don't want to drop below.  I would make that green.  That is your "keep lit" light.  On the right of that, place a red shift light that comes on where your power band tapers off.  You don't want to have that light on for too long anywhere on the track.  

So the scenario is like this:  Leave the line, get up to speed, green light should be on.  Both lights are off, you are running your rpms too low, out of the power band.  If you see the red light and the green light, you are revving too high and you need to grab a gear.  Red light goes off and green light stays on means you are back in power band.  

If you want a "low rpm" light, get a third and set it for an rpm you never believe you should drop below.  

There ya go, three lights, low rpm, POWER BAND, and out of power band.   Is that clear as mud or did I actually make sense?

Nate R

Dawn, No, I had a Revlight, which I really didn't like. It was kinda quirky on the SV, and it was too hard to tell what was going on....I'd also like to know my RPMs at point X as a reference point for whether my corner exits are faster, etc.  

I talked to several people, and it looks like I just got a tach that will NOT be compatible with the SV. :-/

I'm looking at the new Daytona whiteface tachs.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

andy342

I had an idea and got out the manual for my SPA tach to confirm it.

You may want to put a resistor in series with the tach pickup wire.  The tach may be loading down the output so the coil can't fire.  

Try putting a 50k ohm resistor in line with the tach.  It just might work.  And if it doesn't you're only out a few cents and a couple minutes.

dave333

QuoteI'd also like to know my RPMs at point X as a reference point for whether my corner exits are faster, etc.  

Tach away.  I really never payed much attention to my shift light after I got used to the sound and feeling of the motor...

Nate R

Andy --- Tried that last night with a 33K resistor---the coil fired fine, but the tach wouldn't work. I tried lowering the resistance, but if the tach worked normally, the coils didnt.  :'(   After listening more, it's running on both cylinders, but VERY roughly, and revs REALLY slow with the tach hooked up.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

cabbage996

Nate, I have an autometer tach on my sv.  It works ok most of the time till i get on the straight and get going fast,it seems to bounce around a lot and I can't read it.  If I had to do it over again I'd probably just not run one, I don't really look at it much I mainly listen to the noise and vibrations.  I don't have any resistors on it either.  

tigerblade

Quote It works ok most of the time till i ... get going fast...   

So it's not really an issue for you then.

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TreyBone

I use a Daytona Mini Tach.  I'm not sure how much it cost (sponsor gave it to me). It works pretty good, but the needle jumps around on some bumpy tracks.

It was real easy to hood up too ;)