News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

R6 Electrical Problems! HELP!

Started by 1fastmofo, June 19, 2003, 07:41:37 AM

1fastmofo

Ok here's the story... I sold my old 01' R6 to a friend of mine. It's never been raced, and has only been used at one trackday, it's mainly a street bike.

Here's what's happened so far: He was riding along and the lights went out and the bike just died. We tested the battery and it had a bad cell. I bought him a new battery. Bike ran fine for about 1000 miles and did it again.

We took a look at the voltage regulator and the wiring harnass was melted right at the regulator. So we replaced the voltage regulator and then performed all the electrical tests in the service manual. Bike passed them all and ran fine for about another 1000 miles, until it happened again.  >:(

This time we brought it to a friend's race shop. He did all the same tests and everything passed. He replaced the wiring harnass with a new plug at the regulator end and replaced the stator just in case. Bike lasted for about 400 miles and it just died again. Any suggestions before we set this thing on fire?  ???

r6_philly

sound like a intermitten short somewhere in the bike. Look on the good side, there aren't as hard to find as cars  :P

Sorry, I think you have to just take it down to pieces and check everything electrical. Or maybe identify what caused or when it happened better, maybe there are some relationship between the occurances that can help you find the culprit.

TZ_Boy

What test's are you performing?  You need to be checking.
1. Rectifier= 12 continuity/Diode tests.
2. Stator= AC output and continuity to ground
3. Output to Battery DCV and Amps.
4.  Wiring and Connector's to these componet's for continuity and continuity to ground.

It sounds like it may have just been corrosion at the regulator/rectifier connector which I have seen on R1's which causes the melting of the connector and subsequent failure of the rect/reg and then the Battery.  By not fixing the connector problem first you may have damaged your new parts.