News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Mid-Ohio Grand Nationals(midweek)

Started by oh344ccs, June 11, 2003, 04:13:09 PM

oh344ccs

Just wondering, Who's going to be representing CCS in the team challenge?  The way I read it is that each santioning body is able to pick three riders to rep.  their organization.  The racers finishing positions in the races that they are entered in will be what decides the winners, the org. with the best representing finishes wins.  Sounds like a cool thought.  So who's it going to be??  I know that Baker is going to be there, Plus with the races on thursday, anyone looking for track time before the AMA pro races would be wise to race for track time.

Any CCS amatures coming?  I read the post from the guy with the 929.  I don't know if wera will let AM's race anything larger than a 750.

Super Dave

Pick?  Would be nice if someone from CCS would pick, invite, or something.  But, sometimes, it's hard to get a call back.  Might explain the lack of entries this year.
Super Dave

lfg929

I am the guy with a 929. I am going ahead and entering. If they complain then I will petition to run expert or something. I know one of the people at the AMA who is helping to organize things and she keeps telling me that it is *not* a WERA event although they are helping to run it. It is supposed to be an event for all of the orgs to come together and face off. As such, I think it would be a little unfair if they don't let a novice run a litre bike because WERA doesn't allow it (at least that is the line I keep feeding my friend at the AMA and she keeps working on her boss with it).

oh344ccs

Your probably right, being an AMA event I don't know what power Wera will have.  I think there is only one class that 929's are eligible for (Form 1).

Super Dave, I can't pick anyone, I have been racing Wera all season so I have no idea who's going well this year.  I would guess maybee, Ebbin, Martinez, Gorden, or Maybee Nichols.  I guess it would depend on which of them plan on racing the Superbike weekend.

Super Dave

I'll be working with Hanson, Knupp, and Nichols at Mid-Ohio for the AMA thing, I assume.  They should be there.  It's an "amateur" gig though...  So, how would that work if they have a Superbike license?
Super Dave

lfg929

Guess WERA is going to have more pull than I figured. They are going to follow the WERA class and racing rules completely so unless I somehow talk either CCS or Fastraxx into moving me to expert (not likely) then I won't be able to race.

Regarding those with AMA Pro licenses, the AMA site talks about that a bit. You can be a pro racer and still run this event provided you haven't gotten in the top 10 in the Superbike class, the top 3 in Supersport or Superstock, or won in the Sound of Thunder class (I think I got all of that correct). The site has the exact details, but unless the guys are good enough to have gotten a podium in the AMA Pro events then they will be able to run.

oh344ccs

Hey Super Dave, Pro-Cards were welcome last year.  DiSalvo, Ulrich, Livengood, Calor, Howard, are just a few that raced all the events last year.  This year I'm sure that Greg Moore will also be racing, he should be in about the same boat.

Your working with, does this mean you'll be racing, or just helping out in the pits?

Super Dave

QuoteYour working with, does this mean you'll be racing, or just helping out in the pits?

I'm a suspension consultant, etc. to the guys.  Let them ride while I try to think for them.  I get to play rider psychologist too.  
 ;D
Super Dave

CCS

No one from the AMA has contacted us for our nominations for the last couple of years and this years event pays WERA regional championship points.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

oh344ccs

Kevin, This is the first year that the "Team Challenge" is occuring.  In the last few years the GNC was being run by Fasstrax, a much smaller org. that really didn't have the ability to expand the program.  That's why wera is "kinda" running the event.  It's still an AMA event, not a Wera race.  Wera chose to pay points to the racers in the region to help drawing more of there racers to the event.  The way I read it, the AMA would like to make it where several sanctioning bodies can, and will pay points to their racers, for the event.  I don't know if anyone was ever acctually contacted about gathering teams for the race, someone must have dropped the ball I guess.
Bottom line is that it's really a good idea, where else can the sanctioning bodies race each other, on equal ground(no clubs race at mid ohio), for bragging rights?  I know that you are Very Busy, but maybee it would be worth a short phone call, or even a peak at the AMA website.  Heck, I think they should give free entries to all team members from each club(but that's only my thoughts, I'm sure they won't see it my way).  Maybee they didn't call you because they just didn't want you to pick the super fast CCS/FUSA guys to show everyone up. :o  If I were you I'd check into it for sure

Mongo

lfg929 - let me talk to the guys at AMA Sports and see what we can do.  We're trying to do this event under a combo of everyones rules not just WERA's.

Kevin - I talked to them about this team deal and if you'd like to nominate riders just email me.  They also said that we could nominate different teams form the distinct regions (i.e. I wouldn't do a Mid Central or Northeast team since they are pretty much made up regions).  

If you're interested in doing this will you contact Henry and Brooks as well or would you like me to?

While enforcing rules that are kind of general will be a bit weird it should still be a great event with all licenses being accepted and all racers welcomed.  I at least plan on having fun.  ;D

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

lfg929

Mongo, I would appreciate any help you can provide. I have done a lot of track days at Mid-Ohio so for me it is a home track that I know really well and should have fairly competitive times on.

AMA updated the site this week and it now says it will follow WERA racing classes and racing rules, which to me says no novice litre bikes. Pretty much sucks for me then. I plan on writing a letter to my friends boss explaining my situation to see if they would make a compromise for us morons who think they know how to handle a litre bike as a novice (hey, somebody has to be the idiots in the group). Any additional help in getting AMA to slightly change their thinking would be greatly appreciated.