News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

new guy advice

Started by Kal, June 10, 2003, 01:33:36 PM

Kal

I'm looking for an sv650.  As a new guy, do you think superbike or supersport would be harder to get into.  In other words...which do you think would be an easier time for a newbie.  And if anyone has time...what are the upsides and downsides to each. Thanks

tigerblade

Others will respond who are much more experienced than I, but I'd suggest keeping the bike legal for supersport and running it in both classes.  Starting out, track time is invaluable.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

MightyDuc Racing

I second that.  Once you get fast enough, you will be competitive in both on a SS spec SV.  Ask Scuba Steve. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Dawn

Super Dave

Fourth.  Get good training.  A real person that can actually give you dynamic answer to questions, AND who WILL tell you things, not just wait for you to ask them.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

5th that..i do both md wt supersport, md wt superbike, and HEVWT supersport.. until you get real good, theres not much/any advantage to having a bike with a couple tweeks that make it illegal for supersport. ;)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ecumike

6th that.

Keep it as stock as possible!!  You don't want to beef it up at all!
Too much power and you might pass me on the straight.  ;)

P.S. - SVs suck.:P

james-redsv

Most people with SVs race LWTSS, LWTsuperbike, LWTGP, GTlights, sometimes  supertwins and anything else they can. Obviously they keep them SS legal. ;D

Kal

thanks for all the replies.  I'll stick with the ss!

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteI'm looking for an sv650.  As a new guy, do you think superbike or supersport would be harder to get into.  In other words...which do you think would be an easier time for a newbie.  And if anyone has time...what are the upsides and downsides to each. Thanks

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN!!!!!!

Get out of it while you still have some dead presidents left!!!

;D

Super Dave

Yeah, this is addictive...

But to add on to all this that might have gotten missed.  Yes, the motor should be left alone.  However, you should spend a good deal of money on the suspension.  You should get your forks worked on by a reputable road race suspension shop.  Doing it yourself or having someone that "claims" they can do it isn't good enough.  Time on the track is precious and expensive.  It isn't worth going to the track and then finding that it isn't right.

Additionally, an aftermarket shock with ride height adjustment.  I use http://4and6.com as my suspension place because they can also set the proper lengths of my equipment.  I use http://www.hyperprousa.com suspension because their rising rate springs allow me more latitude in keeping the bike compliant and firm under hard loads.  
Super Dave

james-redsv

All that needs to be done to the SVs suspension is racetech emulators, stiffer springs/oil in the forks, which anyone can do and replace the stock rear shock. The rear shock can be replaced with a GSXR shock and for the price, about $30-$70 on e-bay, you cant beat it. An ohlins or Penski will set you back some $$$ and they are better. ;D I raced all last year with a GSXR shock on mine, it was just a bit soft for my weight was the only problem, otherwise it worked great. I have since switched to a Ohlins thats set better for my weight so it works a bit better for me now. 8)