News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My ribs hurt

Started by Decreasing_Dave, June 03, 2003, 10:26:50 AM

Decreasing_Dave

Ok..a very hot weekend at Streets.  I swept the GTU on Saturday.  I had such a lead that I was able to drop my lap times by 3 full seconds and still come in 1/4 lap ahead of second place.  Might as well conserve the tires and such.

Sunday was different.  I had to race with Joe Philbrook (#517).  Fast guy and a good friend, we push each other to the extremes though.

Middleweight Superbike, first race of the day, I get a real bad start, bogged off the line.  I went into T1 in 6th place from the front row.  By T3 I was 4th, by T6 I was 3rd going into the bowl.  Out of the bowl toward the chicane I was dragracing a guy to it.  He looked over at me and backed off the throttle.  It was really nice of him but I didn't understand it.  Now I'm second.  Joe's gone.  I reel him in to within 4 bikelengths when a lapper slows me up.  I reel him in again.

Last lap, turn 9 of 12, I've been railing this turn all day.  It can bring me in close enough for a last ditch attempt at the win.  My only hope is to get the inside line at 12 and park it, forcing Joe to dragrace me to the line.  A longshot but it's everything I've got.

I go through 9 as usual and I feel the front begin to move, just a little, nothing major.  Then ALL OF A SUDDEN I'm on the ground sliding to the outside of 9, cussing up a storm in my helmet.  Right up until I hit the dirt.  It was then that I think I broke my ribs and got the wind knocked out of me.

I was on the ground floundering and kicking trying desperatly to get some O2 in my lungs.  They redflag the race, sent the ambo and I get a ride to the hospital..taped to a backboard.

The guys in the truck...you know, that ones that take your bike back to the pits, dropped my bike 'cuz someone didn't tie it down.  Then when they got back to my pits, they rolled it off the trailer without the ramp, damaging the lower fairing.  You know that all of that wouldn't have happened if I was there.  They were just to lazy to get the ramp out.  I'm suprised they even slowed down to drop it off. >:(

13 Hour drive home was fun after all that.  4 to 6 week recoverly time for ribs.  I have 5 weeks 'til Buttonwillow and I'm 36 years old, not 18 anymore.  Anyone have a clue what I should take to assist in bone healing.  Leave the geritol jokes out of this.

Thanks,
D. Dave

dwilson

If I were in your position I'd take MetRx & lots of milk.  You can buy it at GNC & all the misc. body building shops, it's not cheap but it's great stuff.  I'd also do some light physical stuff that doesn't move your chest much, like walking etc...  I don't have much experience at this sort of thing but I used to work out alot & messed myself up a few times.  

Sorry to hear about the ribs & poor treatment of your bike.  Sounds like a good time to check out the working with fiberglass thread in tips & tricks...

lightweightgp

Quote13 Hour drive home was fun after all that.  4 to 6 week recoverly time for ribs.  I have 5 weeks 'til Buttonwillow and I'm 36 years old, not 18 anymore.  Anyone have a clue what I should take to assist in bone healing.  Leave the geritol jokes out of this.

OUCH!  sorry to hear about your get off.   Get well soon.  Turn 9 is that 90degree left at the end of the back straight, right?  I hate that corner, the surface is all buggered up, and it gives me the willies.   Like the bus stop corner at Firebird East.  

13 Hour drive - that's why i am not travelling to races this year.     I live in Phx, so its only 6 or 7 hrs to Streets, 6 to Vegas, 7 or 8 to Buttonwillow.   Sunday night is tough driving, i could not do it with an injury (although it may have kept you awake)  

At least when i broke my foot at Firebird East, I was home, and didn't have to drive too far to get home.

i don't know about promoting bone growth, but i have been drinking milk and trying to get more rest.  the only thing that really works is time.

Litespeed

Sorry to hear that Dave and hope you recover fully for Buttonwillow.  I have heard that plenty of Calcium and other nutrients are mandatory for quick and proper healing but I have also heard that you want to do as little activity as possible so the body can put it's resources into healing.  It will also keep you from any potential reinjuries.  What kinda Michelin did you have on the front?  ;)

Decreasing_Dave

Quote What kinda Michelin did you have on the front?  ;)

No Michelins...Pirelli.  I will say that this is the second crash I've ever had.  Both were on Pirellis, both were due to losing the front.  I don't mind pushing the front.  The Pirellis do give me decent feedback, but my set-up must be wrong (SuperDave??).  I'm thinking that I'll need to lower my compression a little.  I'm learning a little about tire temps too.  More air = lower temps.  This racing thing is getting techinical.  Maybe I should just stay mid pack and remain stupid.

MZGirl

Dave, sorry to hear about your crash.  And what the crash truck guys did was completely uncalled for.   >:(  Sheesh.

Hope you heal quickly, and will be back in the saddle again in time for Buttonwillow.

r6_philly

hey Dave, sorry to hear about your crash. And sucks that they messed up your bike more that just adds to the pain. Glad you drove home in one piece though. I wish you heal up fast, although not faster than me though ;p :D Just joking, hear up fast and race well. Are you coming to Daytona in the fall? I was looking forward to racing the MW big shot from the SW ;) I hope I can heal up, keep up my racing plans and race you someday.

Take care, rest well, and heal soon!

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteAre you coming to Daytona in the fall? I was looking forward to racing the MW big shot from the SW ;) I hope I can heal up, keep up my racing plans and race you someday.

Take care, rest well, and heal soon!

Yeah Dafan, I didn't feel like such a "big shot" laying on my back, looking up at the ambo driver :-/.

I hope to be at Daytona.  Then I can finally meet all of the racers that I have been harrasing on this board. ;D

I should make it to Buttonwillow.  I feel pretty good right now....or is that the Vicodin talking?? :o :o

K3 Chris Onwiler

Ribs suck.  I bruised a kidney with my rib damage, and didn't race for 3 months.  I was just too tired from all the breathing I was doing...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

lightweightgp

QuoteI should make it to Buttonwillow.  I feel pretty good right now....or is that the Vicodin talking?? :o :o

if you feel good now, you probably are OK.  Vicodin don't do squat.    Percocet - now that's good medicine!

CCS_106

I read an article from Dr Ting a while back and he said he always has his riders eat pinaple because it is the only food that has an 2 chemicals that your body needs to repair bones.  It is not found in any supplement either. The two you need are bromelain and bromine.  You can also get it in the juice to a lesser extent.  

There are riders who have tried this and believe it has accellerated there recovery.

Regards,

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteI read an article from Dr Ting a while back and he said he always has his riders eat pinaple because it is the only food that has an 2 chemicals that your body needs to repair bones.  It is not found in any supplement either. The two you need are bromelain and bromine.  You can also get it in the juice to a lesser extent.  

Thanks,

I had heard this too.  The doctor that I saw the other day had a book with this info in it.  It said to eat  Half a fresh pineapple each day for quicker recovery.  I'm not a big pineapple fan, but I am a big racing fan.  Since racing out-weighs all things......

Maybe a trip to Hawaii would make eating pineapples easier.  Anyone care to donate to the Decreasing Dave get well fund??  ;D