News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Which way do we go?

Started by EX#996, June 02, 2003, 06:57:23 PM

EX#996

Never being at Gateway before, I have heard the stories about the transition onto the NASCAR track and how difficult and dangerous it is.  I always thought everyone said it was NASCAR turn 1.

If this is the case, when the road course for Gateway is used, is turn one the same as NASCAR turn 4?

Dawn   ???
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Gixxer124

You start the race on the front straight, head towards turn 1. Before you get to NASCRAP turn 1, you head into the infield. From there you have a series of lefts and right and end up going up onto the NASCRAP track in turn 3. You drop right back onto the NASCRAP pit entrance. Haul @ss on the pit road between turns 3 and 4, then up onto the oval at the beginning of the front straight.(at the exit of turn 4) At the transition of the pit lane to the oval, there is a temporary chicane to slow you down, as you are heading straight for the outside wall. There is no passing at this chicane.

tshort

Ok - to get to Gateway:  Take I-80 West, and go about 700 miles.  Look for signs for Denver, and peel off on I-76(or is it 74?).  Look for signs when you get out there for Gateway.  It's well marked.  Shouldn't take you more than about 8 hours or so, so you can leave maybe Friday late evening, get there by bedtime, ready to race Saturday morning.

I'll see you there. 8)
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

sdiver68

My description of Gateway-

Going down the front straight of the Oval, you transition down left onto the road course, turn 1.  This isn't too bad unless you hit the transition point wrong...and is also 1 place of major speed difference between those running <10 and those running 12+.  From there you go hard on the brakes, grab a downshift or 2, and then there is a sweeping increasing radius left, Turn 2.  Short straight-away for a hard left-right (Turns 3 and 4, don't miss 4 or you'll end up at a wall!) and a very short straight to a gentle left (Turn 5) that immediately transitions over to a long decreasing radius right. (Turn 6)  Turns 5 and 6 are so clsoe together and different you can never find the right gear for it on a smaller 4...bigger 4's and twins just Torque through.  Onto a short straight and a hard 180 degree left (Turn 7) that has you going back onto the oval and of course pointed directly at a wall.  Watch out for the mid-corner dip and corner exit bump.  Then, go down the back straight just a bit and come down back off the oval, through some dirt and a series of bumps to a long sweeping left. (Turn 8 )  At the end of this left is the bane of Gateway, I suppose it's Turn 9 but everyone just calls it the chicane, it's a mickey mouse right-left curbing that attempts to slow you down before you get to the sharp bump at the transition of the road course and back onto the oval.  It's also a no passing zone, shoots you right at a wall (now with airfence), and the bumps or the paint can cause an easy rear wheel slide.  I would say this is the other area that separates the <10's from the 12+'s.

Have fun  ;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

Having raced at some truely evil courses, Gateway isn't bad.  But there are places that you don't try to make up time, just don't loose time.  One and the chicane area are those.  Smooth will help, and again the only thing you can do is try to keep good mid corner speed so that you don't have to whack the throttle open so hard.  That will always make life easier.
Super Dave

Jeff

just my personal experience/advice...  When you're going onto the banking in the back section (both times), lift your rear end off the seat.  Your legs will absorb a lot of the jolt, and your suspension will absorb the rest...

If you rely totally on your suspension, you're going to be in for a wild ride since it's a hell of a jolt...

FWIW two years ago I snapped a subframe when my arse hit the seat which bottomed out my stock shock...

I had better luck with the penske and a professional setup, but still...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tigerblade

Sheesh, I'm so excited about racing there.   :-X
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

EX#996

Thanks everyone for you input.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

cb186

careful of the dip in the middle of turn 7 and be real careful of turn 4 in the morning, it can be real slippery(found out the hard way). the track is pretty fun once you get the hang of it and you will end up carrying a lot of speed into 1 be the end of the weekend. the hardest turn to figure out is 6.
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

Super_KC124

Wow Steve, your descreption sounded much better than mine. But, you are from St. Louis. ;D

Super_KC124

QuoteSheesh, I'm so excited about racing there.   :-X
Look me up. I'll make sure you have fun at this track! ;)

tigerblade

QuoteLook me up. I'll make sure you have fun at this track! ;)

I'll bring my tow hook.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...