News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

R6 Gearing for Summit Point?

Started by Luna, May 30, 2003, 10:08:04 AM

Luna

What sprocket combo are other R6 riders using for Summit Point?
As I'm hitting turn 7/8 coming out of the carousel, I'm really high in the revs and the bike feels a little "too" twitchy...
If I grab a shift before turn 9, my drive up the hill seems to suffer a little. But if I hold that gear, I hit the rev limiter before I finish making the turn and I'm not too keen on grabbing a shift in the middle of 9 while I'm still cranked over...

Right now I have a 15 x 48 on my bike.

It almost seems like I can go another tooth bigger (rear)since I'm not hitting the rev limiter in 6th on the front straight anyway.

I think I should have made my chain a little longer - If I go up a tooth in the rear, the wheel will have to move closer to the front of the bike and I think the tire will be rubbing on my belly pan.
Ugh!  ::)

r6_philly

Luna,

I was using a 15/49 combo and it worked fairly well. I would have liked 15/48 but didnt have a 48 on hand. I also tried a 15/47 without much success. 15/48 should be good.

If you are using 2nd gear going into 5, then shift to 3rd between 8 and 9, and shift to 4th half way up the hill toward the bridge. If you find shifting before 9 a little hard to do (Like me) then going into turn 5 in 3rd gear. I used it all weekend and I have no problem. Most guys shift between 8 and 9, and I pass them as they back off the throttle, on the outside.

Peanut

Luna,

15/48 is what I was using also, 16/50 was just a bit off. I'm around 14,000 in 6th before hitting the brake markers on the straight w/this gearing.  I also grab a gear in the back section like Dafan, but do it between 6 & 7 while leaned over. Helps to smooth out 7, 8 & 9. I'm just starting to be able to grab 2 more to 5th between 9 & 10, then back to 3rd for 10.  I'm starting to ride the rev to much before 10 so this will be my approach going forward.

Hope it helps,

Nut