News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Face plant @ Summit Point

Started by dwilson, May 27, 2003, 09:31:29 AM

dwilson

I went to Summit Point this past weekend and learned that I like my Simpson neck brace...  I ran in Sunday's GTO (on my FZR600  ??? ) and was doind so good that I actually passed a few people in the carousel.  On lap 7 exiting turn 5 something happened, the bike tossed it's cookies and I *smacked* face first into the pavement and slid off the track.  I was OK, the bike flipped in the dirt (aka mud) and sustained a flattened exhaust can, destroyed body work & gauges.  I didn't feel so bad because 3 of us went down in that turn that race (one at a time).  I was wearing a Simpson neck brace and though my face shield was scaped pretty bad and my shoulder a little sore, my neck and collar bones are fine.  The neck brace was only about $30 and I'd definitely reccomend them to any racer.

WebCrush

I watched that race and witnessed the turn 5 crashfest as it slowly became a junkyard.

Glad yer ok.

Curious how the simpson brace helps you?  Do you find it restricting at all.  I would hate to not be able to turn my head all the way in  a corner.

I broke my neck in two places a few years ago and have been curious to what could have prevented it.

clutch

The neckbrace prevents the neck from snapping forward to far and hitting the chest, preventing a basal skull fracture like Dale Earnhardt had.  It can help a lot if you take one of them wacks where the head snaps forward. It may help with a compression of the neck also since the helmet may hit the sides of it when compressed.  I have an EVS collar, just havent used it yet.  A lot of car racers where these a long with the HANS device to prevent the head from snapping forward into the chest. They are cheap and can work.  Glad you are ok Don..saw the machine in the back of the truck.  I was pitted across from ya.  i think you were in that big box truck.

MZGirl

Anybody have a link to this type of neck brace, or maybe a link to a distributor that sells them?  I'd like to learn more.  $30 is a great price for protective gear (compared to the alternative of being injured).

Thanks!

clutch

dwilson

Hi Clutch, that was me in my buddies box truck.
Turn 5 certainly was a crashfest.  I couldn't believe that after the race stopped we couldn't find anything on the track!  
The neck brace does slightly limit your side to side neck movement, but only enough to keep you from looking behind you.  Side to side is fine.  Forget about looking at the sky though as by design it keeps your neck fairly straight.  My only complaint is that I have very thick facial hair and it rubs the stuble a bit.  When I'm on the track I totally forget it's there.

clutch

whats up Don.  Shave it ... LOL.  Glad you are ok. I only ran the GTU race and of course they cut it at 6 laps..maybe got 10 minutes of ride time of 30 minutes.  Maybe they need to make them Solo 20's instead and gurantee 20 laps.  6 was rediculous.  I am doin that Marrc day for some seat time on the 6th.  Hope that bike comes back together..but at least you are up and good.  NESBA is June 23rd at Summit Main also.

Sean

dwilson

I think you mean the track day on the 6th.  If your taking the MARRC class for track time you get half the track time for twice the price.  I wanted to go but now I have to put my bike back together  8)  I will be there for the next race on July 10.  If you do a Summit Point CCS weekend you'll probably see me there, the bike will probably be a different color though  ;D

clutch

No..already did the Marrc school.  This is just a Marrc track day.  They run it like the LP sportrider day from my understanding. $100 and the gate fee is refundable if you are not doing the WERA weekend.

smoke

Clutch

Glad u are OK.  A lot of peeps went down in 5 on sunday.  I felt bad for the guy with the new with the new Kawa,  The jamacan guy went down there too.

I had a ring side view working in #7.

r6_philly

maybe you saw me flying into the tirewall in the last race?

did you see how Hector and Don Kelley crash? I was surprised to see both of them go in that corner in the same race

smoke

Did I see it!  Holly shit .... You were on my left sholder...  I saw u get up and I was like thnak god.  Did they dig your transponder out?