News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

When you're good, you're good...

Started by MightyDuc Racing, May 22, 2003, 06:11:42 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Gotta be more to the story than that...and how did you total it going slow?
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

madanalyst

Was a novice on sport bike at the time.  Had been riding harleys for a few years.  Came into a turn in a residential neigborhood that was off camber and with a car coming in the other direction (so i believe).  As i approached the turn, with Melk on tail, i totally froze up.  Rather than even turning the slightest, i stood it up.  The real problem came when i hit a foot full of rear brake and no front (another very novice move).  I went through a line of trees like an overweight  bird with no wings.  The last tree caught the foot peg with my foot in between.  That pretty much meant the bike came to a very sudden stop and because of the forward momentum, started to tumble head over foot with rider (me) landing somewhere 20 feet away.  i jumped up in amazement after landing square on my back to make sure all me limbs were attached to the cadavir.  Thankfully, they were.  It took a few minutes for the blood to rush to the foot before i noticed something was broken.  The real stuppidity in all of this came when i told Melk the bike was unrideable (for me at least, with no shift peg) and he allowed me to ride his bike to my house a few miles away.  He had just witnessed me totally destroy my bike and was now willing to have my skills go to work on his -- and with a broken foot, nonetheless.  to this day, Melk says his never seen a wreeck like it, with rider and bike so high in the air -- on or off track.  

MightyDuc Racing

Just glad you were okay.  I've seen some wild ones in the dirt track days where the rider was unhurt, and then some that looked like nothing and the rider was hurt badly or killed.  Melk's a good guy.  At least now I know somebody else that's hit the trees. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

tzracer

I have dropped (not a crash) every street bike I have owned.

I was on a trip from WI to Virginia, near Wash DC, on my R1100RT. The speedo cable broke in Indiana. I found a dealer in Ohio with one. Unfortunately I messed up the directios. I stopped on an off ramp (so I could get back on the freeway if there were no convenient on ramp) to check a map. Figured out what I needed to do. Went to get the bike off the centerstand, between the slope away from me and the sand on the shoulder, I dropped my bike into a guard rail. 660 lb bike leaning at about 45 degrees against a guard rail, with a steep drop off on the other side of the guard rail. I had to climb under the bike to stand it up. Nate, you think your bike is a tank, I call mine the blue whale. After much effort, got it back up, broken mirror (glass only), turn signal, crack in dash, RID mount broken, and some scratched paint. Fortunately besides the cable, the dealer also had the mirror glass and the turn signal. There are some people who drop their new bikes to get it over with.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

ceesthadees

I am glad I am not the only one.

1.) In college, I borrowed my roommate's 1978 Honda "something heavy" to go to a rugby game. I got on the bike to rock it off of the centerstand with one foot (clad in 3/4 inch cleats) half on and half off the sidewalk. I put a little too much pressure on the outside of my foot, causing it to sink into the wet grass/dirt, twisting the sh!t out my ankle, then lost my balance to that side, the bike's weight driving my ankle ever closer to 90 degree angle with my leg. I somehow got the bike back up (I did not even care what happened to it) and went back into my apartment to start about a three week rehab on my trashed ankle.

2.) Short story. Do not goose your brand new R1 in 33 degree weather at Roebling Road when just starting a track day.

3.) Shorter story. Do not try to push start your slightly damaged R1 in your driveway.

MightyDuc Racing

Coming to Moroso this weekend Cees?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

ceesthadees

Nah,

I've had a bad year for racing because of my work travel schedule. I have only done about 3 track days at Jennings all year.

But, I just started a job in Pascagoula, MS that is a long term gig, so I will be able to travel home and schedule race weekends a lot easier.

However, I got bumped to Expert because it is my third year (with a year off for injury), but I am running 1:39's at Homestead and 1:28's at Jennings (no recent times at Moroso) and I am scared I may be a liability. Can U were an orange shirt in an expert race? ::)

MightyDuc Racing

I bet the times would come down once you get out there with the fast guys, and if not, you aren't gonna be getting lapped with those times...so you aren't a liability in my eyes. :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: