News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Speak with your $$$

Started by EX#996, May 16, 2003, 06:45:29 PM

EX#996

Well, as everyone on this board knows by now, I am upset that Clear Channel Entertainment is making the loyal CCS riders purchase the F-USA license just to run in the same classes that they have the entire season just because it is a F-USA event.  The increase in entry fee I can possibly justify due to the extended race time and qualifying, but....  the requirement of an additional license was the straw that broke the camels back.  As stated in an ealier post, it's just like blackmail - you want the points for that class you better pony up the extra bucks.

We are voting with our $$$ and ask you to consider doing the same.  We will not purchase a F-USA license an we will not be running Thuderbike at the MAM event.  Take note those who run Unlimited GP or Sportbike, you will have to buy the special F-USA license if you want the CCS points for that event.

My theory behind this rule change is this.  Due to the difficulty Clear Channel had retaining and recruting sponsors for the F-USA series, they had to find a way to boost thier numbers to share with the sponsors.  One way to show a boost in numbers is an increase in licensed riders.  Clear Channel knew they would be assured of the increase in licensed F-USA riders is by making this rule change.  Pretty smart on Clear Channels part, but it really sucks on the CCS riders end.

So - vote with your $$$ and don't get the license and don't race the class.

My $0.02

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

Think about what you just said Dawn.  I am not taking any sides here, either.  You are obviously angry that they are basically forcing the FUSA license down your throat to help promote the series.  However, the extra license fee is a way for you to help support the giant company that makes our races possible.  You said it yourself, they are trying to boost their numbers and retain or gain sponsors.  Our sport is desparate for sponsors, so if you can help cheat a bit by getting a license and appearing to be at all of the events when only actually racing in one, then what is so wrong with that?  I definitely understand the money factor (I ride a Duc, remember...lol), but I just want you to take a step back and think about what you are asking.  You are asking riders to skip a race in order to damage Clear Channel's chances of gaining new sponsorship.  Once again, good or bad, they are the reason we have races to attend.  Just my very humble opinion, and I also agree that the way they went about it sucks.  Tough situation, that's all.  Yuck.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

Yep - good point.

However Clear Channel puts more focus on F-USA (a money pit, that's why they race at the CCS events) in regards to sponsors and promotions.  They also put more focus on the motor cross events.  CCS seems to be treated like a bastard child in the grand scheme of things.

Check out this link - www.clearchannel.com

We were here to fit a nitch market, they really don't give a hoot about us.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

Point taken, and I'm not a huge Clear Channel fan, but they do (unfortunately) foot the bill at the events that lose money.  Like I said...yuck. :(  On a positive note on the FUSA series...I look at that series as the next step for me after turning expert on my hopefully eventual road to the AMA.  Nice to have something like that where a good rider that is maybe an up and comer can get some national exposure...now if they could just get some TV coverage....... :)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

dwilson

I hate Clear Channel for totally different reasons. They own most of the pop radio stations in the country and alot of the billboards too.  If you think not buying their license will put a scratch in their wallet maybe you should look at their stock (CCU).  If you really want to hurt them, race with another org and write your Congressman about the bill Congress is currently considering about re-regulating broadcasting.  

Ps. I know that was bitter but I'm really not a prick ;D

r6_philly

QuotePoint taken, and I'm not a huge Clear Channel fan, but they do (unfortunately) foot the bill at the events that lose money.  Like I said...yuck.

How do you suppose that they loose money at race events??? If you do the math, it is not very easy to loose money on a race weekend...

By the way, on the license issues - it sucks to have to pay extra for a "regional" event run at FUSA weekend, but if you are chasing a championship and need the points, you would pay the extra $50. Heck, I am going to drive to Alabama for a MID-ATLANTIC event.... go figure. Oh and its twin sprints, twice the entry fees than just a double points weekend.

EX#996

QuoteBy the way, on the license issues - it sucks to have to pay extra for a "regional" event run at FUSA weekend, but if you are chasing a championship and need the points, you would pay the extra $50.

Exactly my point....  Clear Channel knows that anyone who is chasing a championship will pay the additional $50.00 and pay the higher entry fees just to obtain the points in a class that the run all year.  It's blackmail.

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

QuoteHow do you suppose that they loose money at race events??? If you do the math, it is not very easy to loose money on a race weekend...

Wow, how do you figure that?

Weekend track rental at about $10k per day, insurance (which they do have a good deal on because of their world wide promotions), expenses for food lodging, etc for the staff, cornerworkers, credit card fees, etc.  

Blackhawk Farms usually has huge entry numbers.  But the past weekend with the rain and the proximity to recent events, the numbers were down.  I had the track on Thursday, so I know what it takes.  CCS lost money over the race weekend.

If it were so easy to not loose money, WERA would have continued to have races at Blackhawk, Gateway, and Heartland Park Topeka.  They can't do it.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteOnce again, good or bad, they are the reason we have races to attend.  Just my very humble opinion, and I also agree that the way they went about it sucks.  Tough situation, that's all.  Yuck.

That's the chicken...  However, if it were not for the racers, CCE would have never bought SFX that had bought CCS.  Without racers, there would be no racing organization.  You can't create a racing organization without racers.  And that's the egg.

I do think it kind of blows for the club, regional racers.  It does force them to have an expendature for something more.

As for series sponsors...

There will be no series sponsors until there are serious competitors that promote a proper image.  There will be no specators to come see racers who's uniforms are mismatched t-shirts.  It's all about image, and until the racers and teams change that, it won't happen.  Unfortunately, it is just another expense.

CART is a big open wheel racing organization.  It exists because of the big teams that have invested lots of money into their programs, thus, getting big sponsorships.  CART only gave them a venue to race.  If CART was gone, the teams would go somewhere else to do what they do:  race and promote their sponsors products.
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteWow, how do you figure that?

Weekend track rental at about $10k per day, insurance (which they do have a good deal on because of their world wide promotions), expenses for food lodging, etc for the staff, cornerworkers, credit card fees, etc.  

Blackhawk Farms usually has huge entry numbers.  But the past weekend with the rain and the proximity to recent events, the numbers were down.  I had the track on Thursday, so I know what it takes.  CCS lost money over the race weekend.

If it were so easy to not loose money, WERA would have continued to have races at Blackhawk, Gateway, and Heartland Park Topeka.  They can't do it.

Sorry, didn't know about the other regions. It is hard to loose money in Mid-Atlantic, they usually have to turn entries away at Summit and VIR because it passes the track capacity.

Add up the gate fees and the race entries, and subtract the cost, if CCS is loosing money around here, they should look for better way to manage things.

Why does Black hawk cost so much to rent? 10k per day? tracks here seems to be cheaper then.

tshort

And in the FWIW department...what if the MAM T-bike/FUSA deal was nothing more than an oversight, rather than some nefarious plot to extract even more money from already-broke racers?  What if someone were to write a letter (and get it delivered very quickly now) to the right person at CCS Racing, and point out what appears to be an oversight, and ask that it be rectified?

I don't know the economics of sponsoring this race program at all, but it does occur to me that a company the size of CCS may not really need or want to be petty when it comes to *forcing* regional racers to buy more licenses just to race in classes they normally would compete in.  I could be wrong, especially as the Racing division still needs to show a profit, and perhaps the people running it know exactly what they're doing, and the way serious racers will likely respond (ie, you want the points, you buy the license).

I've been doing pretty well with the Am T-bikes - but I'm not gonna join FUSA to race in it.  

My $0.02.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

EX#996

The other thing that is different is the gate fees.  This is what is posted for the MAM and Road America Weekends:

TICKETS
Tickets available at the gate ONLY

SPECTATOR WEEKEND PASS - $35
Valid for 3 days, May 23-25.
Provides access to infield, paddock and garages.

SPECTATOR SATURDAY & SUNDAY PASS - $25
Valid for 2 days, May 24-25.

SPECTATOR SUNDAY ONLY PASS - $15
Valid Sunday ONLY, May 25

WORKING/PARTICIPANT CREDENTIAL - $50
Provides access to infield, paddock, garages, and hot pit road. Available at Participant Registration office.

Normally the gate fees for the weekend are $35.00 for the racers and the pit crew, now it's $50.00.  Why is that?  Can anyone give me a good reason?  Increased insurance cost?  I don't get it.

Dawn   :-/

Paul and Dawn Buxton