2015 gsxr 750 frame with 600 motor legal for middleweight races ?

Started by Lrrs327, September 16, 2016, 09:04:30 AM

Lrrs327

I had a 2015 gsxr 750 that i decided to turn into a race bike, to race more classes i put a 600cc motor in the 750 frame. That makes this a middleweight bike. Ive heard rumors that your not supposed to do this any info please

LWT Racer

It is legal for GP classes but not Supersport or Superbike classes.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Lrrs327

Any idea on the reason ? Im trying to get it figured out so i can fix for next year

Eric Kelcher

Different modifications allowed for different classes.

Basic overview
SuperSport
Tuning mods to production machine
Superbike
Virtually Unlimited mods to production machine, cavaet cannot downsize machine.
Grand Prix
Any source parts, CC limits only

The motor didn't come in that frame so you are not modifying the production motorcycle you are making your own creation by downsizing.

So yes that bike is a middleweight but Grand Prix modification.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Lrrs327

Ok that helps, so if i buy a 600 frame and put the 600 motor i have in it would that be legal or still considered making my own creation because they were not produced together ? Im trying to see if theres a way to fix this without having to purchase a new bike

britx303

Get a 600 frame from the same production model/years of the engine then youd be fine

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Lrrs327 on September 16, 2016, 11:15:19 AM
Ok that helps, so if i buy a 600 frame and put the 600 motor i have in it would that be legal or still considered making my own creation because they were not produced together ? Im trying to see if theres a way to fix this without having to purchase a new bike

Maybe

SB is motor and frame for year/make/model

The control items are more than just frame and motor for SS; intake(airbox, TB etc), forks, swingarm, wheels, calipers... need to be same for year, make, model.

FYI a part for year make model is determined by part number, so a part that may have come installed on a GBTR400 but is the same part used on a CXBR1000 is a legal part for both machines, same with parts that are exactly the same part but may have a different paint code, ie if your bike came with white wheels and there was option for a bike with black wheels they would be legal. BUT if your bike came with aluminum wheels and there is another special edition (that yours is not) comes with Magnesium(Carbon Fiber etc) wheels swapping to those wheels is not legal.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition