News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Technical Tire Question

Started by MightyDuc Racing, May 13, 2003, 03:19:31 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Quick tire question.  I have a brand new set of 208GP's (last years cheap compound...lol) that I bought at Jennings hanging in the garage.  I just noticed that the front tire has a rainbow effect of colors to it, almost like water with oil or gas on the surface looks.  It is pretty bright.  Is this normal or bad?  Does it have something to do with being outside...gets the sun during the late afternoon if the garage door is open (not very often), and I guess the garage probably doesn't usually get over 90-95 degrees ever.  Help...TIA.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Xian_13

Okay, I have seen this before...
What you have there is caused by the tire coming off the track hot and being let to cool down quickly.
The Colors are actually oil coming out of the tire. Tires for Car, motorcycles and passenger trucks are NOT made of rubber, but are petroleum based.
The oils coming out of the tire are actually making the tire harder (bad thing).
Now this is what I have been lead to believe, if you uses tire warmers you can cool the tire down over a longer time span and prevent this from happening.
Please keep in mind I am new to racing, and I am learning things on the fly... So at any point this information may be altered by perception of the truth... i.e. I could be wrong ;D.

CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

MELK-MAN

MD.
i have seen this happen with my tires if they sit around for a month or so after having been on the track. The above post said it all. Frank kinsey said it as well, its oils comming to the surface. Once your back on the track and wear down to new rubber, it goes away. For sure though.. be mindful of how old the tire is. If its a year old or somthing, no way should you race on it.
later
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

This is a brand new tire that I got from James the Dunlop guy at Jennings.  It has never been mounted, and is hanging on the wall with a new sticker still on it.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

CCS243

Xian's answer is correct, new or used .  I always stored mine in the basement, cooler, dark corner.  Tires and fine wine store best in similar conditions.  ::)

Do you drink screw tops? ;D

Xian_13

CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteFor sure though.. be mindful of how old the tire is. If its a year old or somthing, no way should you race on it.
later

LMAO! I am racing on D207's from 1999 with 7 events worth of heat cycles on them (including the 100* event last year at MAM!). I have never used tire warmers in my life, and in the past I often did very well on the first couple laps while the tires were still cold. You guys are so spoiled! LOL
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MightyDuc Racing

Quote    LMAO! I am racing on D207's from 1999 with 7 events worth of heat cycles on them (including the 100* event last year at MAM!). I have never used tire warmers in my life, and in the past I often did very well on the first couple laps while the tires were still cold. You guys are so spoiled! LOL

You should see the left side of my rear tire right about now after Jennings.  I wouldn't even ride on the street with it...lol.  On that note, anybody want some scrubs for a track with a lot of right handers? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: