News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Newbie here! Some q's

Started by rock3r4life, April 08, 2016, 12:03:15 AM

rock3r4life

Howdy! This will be my first season ever racing, I'm very excited. Signed up for the licensing program at autobahn on april 30th, plan to race on the first. My goal for this year is to attend all the midwest races for rookie and a novice/amateur class, so probably 2 races each event.

For simplicity's sake, Im generalizing that each trackday/raceday i attend will be about 200 bucks entry. So 9 racedays with ~3 trackdays ~2400 bucks

Im trying to make a cost plan for the year. About how often do you guys tend to replace tires and brakes (in units of trackdays and/or race days)? Im running an s1000rr with 200/55s (currently supercorsas, who is ccs's tire vendor?).

Besides basic maintenance, any other for sure costs?

Thanks!

Admin

Pirelli guy is Jason Farrell (Farrell Performance). As for how long tires and brakes last, well theres to many variables to look at. Some guys may change tires every 3 races, some every other weekend. Us on the small bikes can go the whole season on a set.

Post entry for CCS is $85 for the 1st race and $60 for each additional. (-$5 for each race if you pre-enter).
Road America is much higher this year, $125 for the 1st and $95 for each additional if you pre-enter (gate fee for the rider is included) $110 for each race and $50 gate for signing up at the track.
Brainerd is a whole different setup since its run by CRA.

Blackhawks gate fee is $25, Autobahn I think is $30.

Other costs...
Fuel
Food
Water/gatorade
Camp fees (ACC, RA, think Gingerman also charge for camping)
Electricity if you need to plug in if you dont have a genny (no power at Autobahn)

Probably more I cant think of right now.

ymracing

I budgeted $750 per race weekend last season.  Had no catastrophic repairs/replacements and kept within my budget.
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

rock3r4life

Quote from: ymracing on April 09, 2016, 06:12:30 PM
I budgeted $750 per race weekend last season.  Had no catastrophic repairs/replacements and kept within my budget.

Does that factor in things like lodging and practice days, when applicable?

MELK-MAN

hotels can vary depending on the area the track is located, and if the area happens to have another event that is taking available rooms. When hotels book up, rates go up. (simple supply/demand).
If you are on a budget, consider sharing room costs with someone, or sleeping at the track in your trailer/tent.
A set of race tires should last a newer racer 1 weekend for sure. Run 4 races (6-8 laps average), then use for practice the following race round. mount new for the races. This is for a faster AM racer too.. your pace will determine if you can go 2 race weekends on a set. i hear of track day riders getting 2 full days out of a set or more. And you likely do more laps at a track day.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ymracing

Quote from: rock3r4life on April 11, 2016, 04:24:31 PM
Does that factor in things like lodging and practice days, when applicable?

Yes it does. I do very little camping anymore,. When running BHF I would suggest that the Best Western in South Beloit as a good place to stay.  If you call them direct, and tell them you're doing BHF, 2 queen beds or one king bed is $69 a nite.  Split with someone, and Bob's your uncle!
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

Dori Ninja

for my $.02 i always wanted 1k in the bank before race weekend (i get paid weekly so that would be prior to my pay check) i only went over that once, and that was on my first weekend back having to pick up a couple little things and last minute things that were unfortionatly over looked) i also cqamp at the track so i save there, and pack food to eat so that too is a little cheaper than eating out the whole weekend....coming in as an amature, you should be able to make it a little longer on tires...but at the same time you are also on a liter bike, so it all depends on your wrist action....
Expert #414
Braap Monster Racing | Creative Custom Airbrush | Vortex | Spy Optics | Replay XD

MELK-MAN

i would seriously consider doing 3 races , not 2. i can't see how you would justify all the travel, time spent, etc. just to do 2 races. Add a 3rd, and this way if you have a minor mechanical issue in a race, you still have some track time to have some fun.. and that 1 extra race, won't cost much more all things considered, when you are already there. If i were you, and on super-budget. I would SKIP one full round, in favor of adding a 3rd or 4th race to the other weekends you do go racing..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice