News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Talladega twin "sprint" weekend .. 10 lap sprints??

Started by MELK-MAN, April 06, 2016, 07:14:58 PM

MELK-MAN

Eric/Kevin,
i know little Tally is a shorter circuit, about 20 seconds a lap than CMP or so .. but 10 lap sprints ? I appreciate everyone getting track time, but that is a lot of laps when you consider it's a twin sprint weekend. what about 8 laps ? just thinking out loud.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

bruce71198

Aren't sprint races usually 15 miles or thereabout? How long is that track?

Eric Kelcher

http://ccsracing.us/venues/maps/TalladegaGPmap.pdf

1.4 miles

lap times average around 1:10 so a 10 lap race with hot/cool laps works out to the norm of 15-17 min per race.

Are you concerned about getting in all the races for the day or from an endurance/exertion stand point?
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on April 13, 2016, 05:52:10 PM
http://ccsracing.us/venues/maps/TalladegaGPmap.pdf

1.4 miles

lap times average around 1:10 so a 10 lap race with hot/cool laps works out to the norm of 15-17 min per race.

Are you concerned about getting in all the races for the day or from an endurance/exertion stand point?

concerned with all of above, and tire wear/race fuel costs.  10 laps just sounded like a LOT of laps for a "sprint"  .. as long as elapsed time is similar to other tracks that seem to have decent lap times in the 1:20-1:30 range i guess it's fine. But 8-9 laps by my math seemed closer to what we would have been doing at CMP with six lap sprints, or other similar 2mile+- tracks ?
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MACOP1104

The big bikes will do sub 1 minute lap times.   The fast LW guys will do about 1:01-1:02 laps.   10 laps isn't that bad.  The track is a cheese grater, similar to CMP.

MACOP1104

1:02 flat was best lw time (SV650)
Mesa got into the 57s,  Geoff May got into the 56s.    The track had some grip issues on Saturday but improved on Sunday.