News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Autobauhn April 30th- May1st

Started by JKBRacing, April 02, 2016, 12:12:21 AM

JKBRacing

OK I am new to CCS and will be taking the learning curves class the 30th and then racing my first race May 1st. I lave lots of unknowns and would like to get some ideas. First off I have a total loss 1st gen SV650. I am not sure how long the batteries will last me. I have two 7amp/hr batteries. Will one last me all day Saturday and one all day Sunday? I have a separate starting battery and no other electric besides ignition. Ideally I would like to have a generator but I am about tapped out at the moment. Will get one if I can but would like to know If I could get by this one weekend without one.

Will I need to buy a Lap timer before then?

My bike is in primer at the moment and I will need to come up with the yellow fields for the numbers would like to be able to reuse after paint if possible. Where do I get them?

I thought I read somewhere that after taking the class and getting your license the first race is either included or discounted?

Will anyone else be camping at the track?

Thanks to all that take the time to reply.

JKBRacing

OK I ordered a 2000 watt inverter to charge batteries and use tire warmers.
How is License application and race entry handled? Saturday after completion of the Riders school?  What would be good events for the newbie to sign up for? I believe it qualifies for Super sport as it still has the stock carbs and airbox, wheels, forks etc.
Thanks for any info and time in reply.

Doxgon22

Hi there-
     Doc Stein here, I will hopefully be one of your instructors in the Learning Curves School at Autobahn.  I will try to answer as many questions as I can.
I really have no experience with total loss ignition systems, so I can't really help you with how long the batteries will last, but probably longer than you think.
     Next, the lap timer will be available for rent or purchase at registration when you sign up for your first races Saturday night or Sunday morning.
     School bus yellow vinyl is the best for the number plates, and it can be purchased at a lot of craft/hobby shops like Hobby Lobby, etc.  I have seen yellow duct tape used.  A lot is excused for your first race weekend.
     Your information about race entry discounts is mistaken.  By passing the Learning Curves course, you get your first license for free.  Your race entries are NOT free or discounted.  I THINK, can't be sure, that a post-entry first race is $85, second and more races are $65.
      Quite a few folks will be camping at the track including my family.  You will see everything from Semi-toter homes, big bus type RVs, fifth wheel trailers, people sleeping in tents or the back of vans, etc.
     The inverter is a good start, just make sure to start your vehicle so that you don't run down your transporter's battery with the tire warmers.
     You will fill out your license application when you register for the school Saturday morning.  If you pass the course, and, of course, you will, you will get your temporary license at the end of the day.  If all goes well, you will have time to go through registration for Sunday's races at the end of the day Saturday.  If not, there should be plenty of time for you Sunday morning. \
     Based upon your total loss ignition system, you are not Supersport legal.  I would suggest GT Lights, Lightweight Superbike, Lightweight GP, and perhaps, Thunderbike, not sure about that one.
      Anything else?

britx303

Ive only ever raced on a total-loss bike one weekend.I had to keep it on a charger between sessions/races.All the guys ive seen running total-loss do the same as far as keeping it charging throughout the day.I believe a battery may only last 2 hours or less of running without being charged.I dont know how you have the TL setup done,but it would make your weekend so much better and enjoyable if you had the charging system in-tact for your first race weekend. But are there no power boxes to rent at autobahn? If so,then just run another extension cord and stick it on a floatcharger when you pull in off the track.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Pretty much what Doc said. Thunderbike is a OK to run total loss also.

As for number plates, just use yellow spray paint and stick on numbers. A whole lot cheaper than vinyl ones (especially when on a budget getting started). Painted on number plates have worked for me since 1999.

And for Autobahn, bring a FM radio. The announcer is broadcast over it and they don't have loudspeakers (BTW you have to listen carefully to it, north and south course towers use the same FM frequency). 
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

JKBRacing

Thanks fellas for the time in reply. Lots of good info!! I am really looking forward to the weekend!! I was at Autobauhn south track last year for a track day with STT it was a great time. Rode my two valve Ducati monster then. This will be my first ride for the SV650. Hope to see you all there!!!
Cheers,
John

JKBRacing

I assume someone will be selling tires there? Is it more cost effective to buy tires at the track or should I buy and mount my own before I go. The tires I have on there are like new but they are a couple of years old. They look like they only have one practice or race on them. I was thinking I would use them for the Learning curves class and see how they do. If they feel a little unpredictable then I would just mount new.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Usually there is. You most likely will have to pre-order the tires. They for the most part only bring enough down for the racers who pre-order them.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Riemland293

Just a few questions for you guys...
  Going to the stt event on friday, coming in thursday night.  Am I right thinking camping is going to run me $90 (30 per day..thu-fri-sat night)?  Also CCS gate is $30 per person (fri night though sunday night)?  Not even sure what gate is for stt on friday....
  Also wondering if rookies cup awards points that count towards a regional or class championship?  Thanks
Brian

Woofentino Pugrossi

$30 camping is for the weekend, not per day.

Pretty sure Rookie cup points are only for class championships.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Grasshopper

Just always swap your batteries after every session. Always have one on the charger and do the swaparooski every time you come in. Total loss is a pain in the ass. Get a modified rotor from Zoran at twfracing.com and put the regulator rectifier back on.
Nicholas

JKBRacing

I hear ya, I am confident that there is no appreciable benefit for me to have a total loss ignition. I will try to get through this season with it then next winter I will try and get a charging system back on it.
Hopefully the weather forecast improves for Autobauhn on Sunday. I don't have rain tires and they are out of my budget.