News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Changing tire brand.

Started by ramoszx12r, June 30, 2015, 09:18:08 AM

ramoszx12r

I am looking to change the brand of tire that i am using. Right now i am using Pirelli.
Any one using Michelin, how you like them and who sale them at NJMP.[size=78%] [/size]
Tony
CCS#69
05 R1

LWT Racer

There is no point of asking someone how they like their tires. 

Buy a set of Michelins and try them. Whatever it is that you don't like about the Pirelli, the Michelin or what ever other brand you want to try must fix that. Think about how they differ and if they fit your riding style and bike.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

ramoszx12r

do they have a bender at NJMP.
Tony
CCS#69
05 R1

LWT Racer

A bender? No.  Vendor, Yes :) https://www.facebook.com/CustomPerformanceInc

What do you not like about Pirelli?

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

sonicnofadz

The Michelin power cup evo is 1 compound ONLY front and rear (if you OK with that, proceed).  It is a very good tire, but the front is a little on the stiff side compared to the pirelli, (not dunlop stiff though).  The rear isn't as tall/steep as the 180/60 pirelli but its WAY lighter so that might have some performance implications as well...

ramoszx12r

Tony
CCS#69
05 R1

MELK-MAN

the vendor up that way is Gabe .. something. I will try to find out, but in meantime you can call David Grey and he can tell you. 248 830 89 nine eight.
The front michelin is incredible. The single compound makes life much easier. The tire guys are not sold out of the "best" tire for that weekend, you are not scratching your head as to which compound is ideal for you on your bike, at your pace, etc.

you are on an R1, so a 6" rim i assume.. so you will run the 200/55. It's plenty big. Just put it on and go. 30psi cold front/ 21 cold rear. Talk with the vendor about fine tuning the pressures on warmers. (i don't bother with warmer temps).
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ramoszx12r

Tony
CCS#69
05 R1

metricdevilmoto

Quote from: LWT Racer on June 30, 2015, 10:20:39 AM
A bender? No.  Vendor, Yes :) https://www.facebook.com/CustomPerformanceInc

What do you not like about Pirelli?

I'd be interested to know as well.
Mike Faillace, #610 AM
Metric Devil Moto, Team Pro-Motion, Penske, DesignStar3, Pirelli, Full Spectrum Power, Heroic Racing Apparel

Motokonpo

I've tried the new cups evo's recently having come off Pirelli Supercorsas. I love Pirelli and have no issues with the tire but wanted to try Michelins as an alternative. One think I can say is they are VERY PRESSURE SENSITIVE. Seems like 1 pounds difference in the wrong direction change the feel and grip of these tires immensely. I'm no tire expert but I have had my times crashing on tires as part of my so called testing. What I learned, once the pressures are correct, they grip very well; however, I do not think they warn the rider enough like a Pirelli. They do wear like iron but I found this to be somewhat misleading. Here's why, I did a full CCS practice "day" on a new set, then I raced 3 races the next day on the tires. The rear did step out on me once during race day 1 but summit is hard on the right side of tires. I had the tire flipped and continued racing my 3 remaining races the next day.  I had no issues the second day on them. I then took the bike to VIR for a trackday and made it through 3/4 of a day on them because they still looked good with plenty of rubber and the tires wasn't moving around on me. I had planned to change the tire out at noon at VIR but didn't so I ended up crashing when the rear finally let go. I received no warning at all doing the day or before I crashed but obviously I put too many heat cycles on them. After crashing I examine the tire and notice the tires were a bit harder and the leading edge portion on the water siphon is showing cupping with a raised edge. From what I read, this appears to be a strong sign that rebound damping on the forks or shock is set either too fast or too slow. Usually if it's on the leading edge rebound is too slow, and if it's on the back edge it's too fast. I not sure when this started but I never noticed until after I crashed. I'm going to have Mike (MDM) take a look at the tire and my suspension to see if my rebound is off at Jersey this weekend. What's puzzling is I had perfect wear on the Pirelli and could run them until the tire was "obviously" done. The Michelin looks great after 4 days with a ton of rubber but I dare you to run them for 4 days. The tire was not ran hard for all days. Really only doing my races. I have 1 rear Michelin left and will run it this weekend since I'm going to be a bit slow; however, I have Pirellis in the trailer ready to be mounted. LOL... All in all I'm pleased with Michelins but I do not like that they are very pressure sensitive. I know many will say I ran the tire too long and you're probably right, but when I test a different tire I try to run them long enough where they are sliding controllably. Was not the case with this tire. Basically one warning then on my ass. At least Pirelli gives you tons of warnings before dumping you. Hands down the Michelins last longer but regardless, I'm going back to what makes me comfortable which are Pirellis. That is all.

MELK-MAN

^^
that was a tough read of a gigantic paragraph.. and it's nice you tried something different, but in total fairness (and no offense) if you are able to get 3 DAYS out of a rear, you simply are not going fast enough to give the opinion it was a tires fault you crashed. fast experts are putting 3-4 RACES on a rear. And that goes for pirelli, dunlop, you name it brand. Yet after 3-4 races, will still use that tire for practice and go faster than nearly all the AM racers.

What psi were you using ? Are you setting the pressure cold and checking OFF TRACK ?

What you need to understand is you have worn the tire down to the point there isn't enough rubber to hold heat if you do try to push.

Sensitive to 1psi ?? again . No offense, but i suspect myself and a couple other guys on michelin are going 5-8 seconds a lap faster than you, and have never had such dramatic feedback from 1 psi one way or the other.

the pirelli is a very good tire. no doubt. but some of your observations are a bit suspect without more information given (like what psi you used).
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Motokonpo

Well you said it best "if you are able to get 3 DAYS out of a rear, you simply are not going fast enough to give the opinion it was a tires fault you crashed."  ::)
I guess you have to be an ubber fast AM or an Expert to appreciate these tires and since I'm 5 to 8 seconds off the pace and run in the AM class, I guess its best I stick with a tire (PIRELLI) that's FINE for us slower paced riders. :thumb: The Michelin is a great tire but I feel more comfortable on the sticky icky "P" for reasons said. I can get a Race weekend (Approx 6 races) on set on Pirellis with absolutely no issues with grip or having to flip the tire (Could not do this on the Michelin), so for you guys only getting 3 races on a Pirelli, you're either a greedy throttle guy, or don't mind sliding a big HP litre bike in every turn because you're stupid fast or simply wasting tires because you have the coin to spoon on a new set after three races. I try to use my tires until they no longer grip and I know "Exactly" where that is on a Pirelli (CORDS)... LOL... J/K :biggrin:   Greg, I'll come back to Michelins if you and Michelin pay me a stipend :lmao: