News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Sponsorship charge?

Started by Motokonpo, May 19, 2015, 04:29:46 PM

Motokonpo

What would seem fair to charge a buddy to promote his company? I have no clue... I would place a "large decal" on the back of my enclosed trailer and list his ".com" site on my sponsorship form.  I'm thinking he can support me by buying me rubber (approx. $425). Should I promote his company for the remaining of the CCS season for a single set of tires, tires once a month, every other month, etc... What would seem fair? He is a buddy and not trying to rape him, just looking for some race support. Thoughts? Thanks.

LWT Racer

I think that is up to you. How much business and exposure can you give him?

Is his company even something most racers would care about? If he's selling tampons, probably not. If it's penis enlargement pills, i think you have a real winner. He buys you a set of tires per weekend, you slip samples of his pills into everyone's beer at night.

Just ask him what is budget is.  Any help is worth you giving him a word on your bike and sponsors list.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Motokonpo

Thanks bro. Kinda what I was thinking... Thoughts from anyone else????

clarustnb

I know of a guy that could use those pills, so I think it's a great idea.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

LWT Racer

it's really great marketing idea. When he does well in a race, he will look down and say "wow my c0ck looks big today" and that's when you show up; "it's those pills i slipped you last night. Here is a 30 day free trial"
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Motokonpo

I'm selling him on the "Traveling Billboard" more than anything. How much does it typically cost a month for a Billboard along I95, anyone knows? Granted my trailer will be parked during non-race weekend or non-track days weekend. I will add a few decals to the race bike as well for you guys.. :)

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Motokonpo on May 19, 2015, 04:29:46 PM
What would seem fair to charge a buddy to promote his company? I have no clue... I would place a "large decal" on the back of my enclosed trailer and list his ".com" site on my sponsorship form.  I'm thinking he can support me by buying me rubber (approx. $425). Should I promote his company for the remaining of the CCS season for a single set of tires, tires once a month, every other month, etc... What would seem fair? He is a buddy and not trying to rape him, just looking for some race support. Thoughts? Thanks.

as Sam was kind of eluding to.. most sponsorship in the form of money, is going to be a generous gift from your friend.. it is only in very rare circumstances that the rider will actually be able to generate more of a return than is given. It's awesome he's willing to help out. I would say just hit him up for $1000 for the season, or a like amount per event to add up to that much for the season if he is resistant to that much at once .. if he's loaded, a set of tires per weekend would be fucking incredible. Huge. Like, awesome.

seriously consider NOT putting large stickers on your trailer. they are a "steal me" beacon at hotels, and are IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I'm telling you. I have removed stickers prior to restickering my trailer one time. it was a horrible mess, that was way more work that it was worth. My current trailer is a 24' v-nose, and has a LOT of stickers. I am building a new one, that will NOT have ANY stickers on the walls. no way. I am lucky that the place selling me my new one, is taking mine in on trade.. all the stickes seriously reduced the value of the trailer. SO.. if your buddy gave you $1000 .. but you reduce the value of your trailer by $1500 because stickers WILL NOT come off (or if they do, the non-faded area behind shows up like crazy) how much better off are you?
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Motokonpo

Quote from: MELK-MAN on May 20, 2015, 08:02:00 PM
as Sam was kind of eluding to.. most sponsorship in the form of money, is going to be a generous gift from your friend.. it is only in very rare circumstances that the rider will actually be able to generate more of a return than is given. It's awesome he's willing to help out. I would say just hit him up for $1000 for the season, or a like amount per event to add up to that much for the season if he is resistant to that much at once .. if he's loaded, a set of tires per weekend would be fucking incredible. Huge. Like, awesome.

seriously consider NOT putting large stickers on your trailer. they are a "steal me" beacon at hotels, and are IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I'm telling you. I have removed stickers prior to restickering my trailer one time. it was a horrible mess, that was way more work that it was worth. My current trailer is a 24' v-nose, and has a LOT of stickers. I am building a new one, that will NOT have ANY stickers on the walls. no way. I am lucky that the place selling me my new one, is taking mine in on trade.. all the stickes seriously reduced the value of the trailer

seriously consider NOT putting large stickers on your trailer. they are a "steal me" beacon at hotels, and are IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I'm telling you. I have removed stickers prior to restickering my trailer one time. it was a horrible mess, that was way more work that it was worth. My current trailer is a 24' v-nose, and has a LOT of stickers. I am building a new one, that will NOT have ANY stickers on the walls. no way. I am lucky that the place selling me my new one, is taking mine in on trade.. all the stickes seriously reduced the value of the trailer. SO.. if your buddy gave you $1000 .. but you reduce the value of your trailer by $1500 because stickers WILL NOT come off (or if they do, the non-faded area behind shows up like crazy) how much better off are you?
. SO.. if your buddy gave you $1000 .. but you reduce the value of your trailer by $1500 because stickers WILL NOT come off (or if they do, the non-faded area behind shows up like crazy) how much better off are you?

Thanks for the response. I'm charging him $850 for the season (Basically two sets of tires), since he is a friend and not a random. Understand all about the decals, but considering the nature of his company  :) :) we are going with a Magnet decal approach vice Vinyl decals to promote his online store. One for each side and one in the rear. The rear may be a vinyl decal but nothing too large. I never park my trailer at hotels as I always camp at the track. When I do stay at hotels, I always drop my trailer at  the track. My 6x12 trailer isn't nothing special so there isn't much to de-value. lol

dmj_88

seriously consider NOT putting large stickers on your trailer. they are a "steal me" beacon at hotels, and are IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I'm telling you.

VERY sound advice! Not just limited to hotels either, they are "steal me" beacons wherever the trailer is parked. Unfortunately I've had a friends have their trailer stolen. Some got the trailer back but all the bikes, tools, gear, equipment, etc. were never recovered (or insured).

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Motokonpo on May 21, 2015, 08:23:43 AM
. SO.. if your buddy gave you $1000 .. but you reduce the value of your trailer by $1500 because stickers WILL NOT come off (or if they do, the non-faded area behind shows up like crazy) how much better off are you?

Thanks for the response. I'm charging him $850 for the season (Basically two sets of tires), since he is a friend and not a random. Understand all about the decals, but considering the nature of his company  :) :) we are going with a Magnet decal approach vice Vinyl decals to promote his online store. One for each side and one in the rear. The rear may be a vinyl decal but nothing too large. I never park my trailer at hotels as I always camp at the track. When I do stay at hotels, I always drop my trailer at  the track. My 6x12 trailer isn't nothing special so there isn't much to de-value. lol

i doubt the trailer walls are metal.. they are aluminum. Big magnetic stickers are a great idea, but ain't gonna stay on the trailer i don't think. Consider a big vinyl banner that you can stretch across the trailer or on a fence.. here's a couple we had from years ago.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

nevenelestate

Quote from: MELK-MAN on May 21, 2015, 06:58:40 PM
Consider a big vinyl banner that you can stretch across the trailer or on a fence.

Agreed, I had a 2x10ft made up in 2013 for like $60 on the internet. You could even try a local sign shop and see if they will discount the cost to out their logo on the banner. I like the 10ft wide one because it fits perfectly between the legs on the easy up for sponsor exposure and added shade.

I've gotten $300 from a friend who owned a local brewery/grill and that helps out a lot. As others said, it's all about what you can do for them to spread their business' name.