News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Homestead Crash

Started by dpelt73, December 08, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

dpelt73

It's funny that you mentioned helmets. I brought three that weekend. a shoei x-12, a shoei rf1100, and an HJC cl-16.  The shoeis are both XS and the HJC is a small. the shoeis are tight but I am very comfortable in them, the hjc fits and is comfortable, I just prefer the shoeis more.  The x-12 was previously down, but I slid on my leathers and the spoiler got a little knick. Track officials at the time cleared the helmet and I ended up buying a new spoiler for it later and its a brand new helmet again.  The rf1100 I got on sale only later to find out that its ineligible to race in by June 2015.  And the CL-16 is good for another year and a half to race in and was my planned racing helmet.

I decided to use the rf1100 because its the newest helmet I have and I felt the most comfortable with it safety wise. The x12 I think would have been ok, but iffy because its the most used "every day for 3 years"  And the HJC I have no clue how it would have done in the crash.

The rf1100 looked kind of messed up, scuffs all over the place, nothing broken, shield broke off.  With how severe this high side that I don't remember apparently was, I'm very happy with the rf1100 and how it only took my memory and nothing else.  Even though I'll be dumping money into the bike to have it ready for February, I'm seriously considering getting an rf1200 before then. It'll really put a dent in my budget but I haven't heard much about the CL-16 (good or bad) for me to want to try it during a race.
Danny #73 FL

www.facebook.com/chickenstrips
DP Brakes, Vortex, Shorai, Comet Leathers

Zaph

Why would the Shoei be  ineligible to race in by June 2015?

dpelt73

Quote from: Zaph on December 15, 2014, 06:53:34 AM
Why would the Shoei be  ineligible to race in by June 2015?

The manufacture date was June 2010. 
Danny #73 FL

www.facebook.com/chickenstrips
DP Brakes, Vortex, Shorai, Comet Leathers

Zaph

Oh, I didn't realize they were that picky.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Zaph on December 15, 2014, 10:03:16 AM
Oh, I didn't realize they were that picky.

ccs AND wera require 5 year or newer helmets.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

roadracer162

...and that's. It picky, that's smart. A concussion is nothing to take lightly. One pilot friend from a few years back, crashed while racing and was unconscious for almost 15 minutes. No notable injury otherwise but with that he was grounded for at least two years. Even after receiving clearance to fly he still had trouble with memory issues for the day to day tasks. He used a lot of sticky notes. Gino, you probably know him.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.