Homestead Crash

Started by dpelt73, December 08, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

dpelt73

Well it took me a couple sessions but I was really starting to like homestead. I went out on sunday mornings practice and did a few laps, and then I remembered being put on an ambulance.  It's really a bummer.

Ray the CCS chaplain was at the hospital with me and made sure all my stuff got loaded up at the track. I really appreciate everyone that helped me out over the weekend and then helped get my stuff get squared away. Ray had a ride lined up to take me from the hospital to the track this morning and the truck and trailer were all ready to go.  Thank you all for your help.  I get to try again in February.

If anyone saw the crash please let me know what happened. I was told it was a low side in turn 8. Not sure how I ended up with a concussion.
Danny #73 FL

www.facebook.com/chickenstrips
DP Brakes, Vortex, Shorai, Comet Leathers

Zaph

Sorry to hear you crashed.

Might this be you by chance?  Not a lot of detail though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1V4LH9i0lU

dpelt73

don't think that was me. Mine was during practice before any races started.
Danny #73 FL

dpelt73

Just spoke with Henry this evening and he said the report says I crashed in Turn 7.  I wonder if I went on the paint and then high sided when I slid back to asphalt?  No other way to explain all the left side damage and a concussion.
Danny #73 FL

Gino230

6 and 7 are both right handers, but who knows what the bike did?

I took a shot to the head years ago, I had a camera running and that helped me put the events leading up to the crash together. I remember the docs telling me that the window of missing memory will keep shrinking, but at some point there's still some time that's missing. I hope you got checked out and you're ok!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

turn 7 is a FAST place to crash..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

tug296

I had a grade 3 concusion in 2001, it dings me to this day, luckily it was not as fast as turn 7 at Homestead, good luck with it.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Gino230

If anyone has head trauma in the past, you need to have your hormone levels checked by your doctor. There is alot of new research being done with Traumatic Brain Injuries and hormone levels, mostly in soldiers suffering from closed head injuries and PTSD. Many times these types of injuries are cumulative and can sneak up on you. Dr. Mark Gordon is pioneering this work, check him out if you've banged your head more than a few times. It can accelerate the aging process dramatically if not treated.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Shipley81

Quote from: Gino230 on December 11, 2014, 11:15:48 AM
If anyone has head trauma in the past, you need to have your hormone levels checked by your doctor. There is alot of new research being done with Traumatic Brain Injuries and hormone levels, mostly in soldiers suffering from closed head injuries and PTSD. Many times these types of injuries are cumulative and can sneak up on you. Dr. Mark Gordon is pioneering this work, check him out if you've banged your head more than a few times. It can accelerate the aging process dramatically if not treated.

Good to know.  I had a bad off at Heartland Park Topeka in 2012 that gave me a serious concussion.  Thanks for the info.
MCRA/CCS: AM#81
2009 R6
2010 Ninja 250
Sponsors: Shermoto, AggRacing, Hotbodies, Pitbul, Silkolene, EBC

trackseven

Talk to Rider 232 Boelo Jr  I think He saw it as he was behind you . I heard him talk about it a little bit as he was comming in from the redflag .  I rushed to Turn 7th and they were pulling it up on the trailer . 

dpelt73

I'll try to find him on Facebook and see if he knows. thanks.
Danny #73 FL

cooker1

Just wondering what helmet were you wearing ? I have had a couple of serious incidents and the helmet I was wearing made all the difference !
2012 MCRA Am GTL runner-up
2013 CCS MW Am GTL runner-up
2014 CCS Am Thunderbike Champion , GTL runner-up , SS 3rd place
Midwest Track Day Coach

dpelt73

It's funny that you mentioned helmets. I brought three that weekend. a shoei x-12, a shoei rf1100, and an HJC cl-16.  The shoeis are both XS and the HJC is a small. the shoeis are tight but I am very comfortable in them, the hjc fits and is comfortable, I just prefer the shoeis more.  The x-12 was previously down, but I slid on my leathers and the spoiler got a little knick. Track officials at the time cleared the helmet and I ended up buying a new spoiler for it later and its a brand new helmet again.  The rf1100 I got on sale only later to find out that its ineligible to race in by June 2015.  And the CL-16 is good for another year and a half to race in and was my planned racing helmet.

I decided to use the rf1100 because its the newest helmet I have and I felt the most comfortable with it safety wise. The x12 I think would have been ok, but iffy because its the most used "every day for 3 years"  And the HJC I have no clue how it would have done in the crash.

The rf1100 looked kind of messed up, scuffs all over the place, nothing broken, shield broke off.  With how severe this high side that I don't remember apparently was, I'm very happy with the rf1100 and how it only took my memory and nothing else.  Even though I'll be dumping money into the bike to have it ready for February, I'm seriously considering getting an rf1200 before then. It'll really put a dent in my budget but I haven't heard much about the CL-16 (good or bad) for me to want to try it during a race.
Danny #73 FL

Zaph

Why would the Shoei be  ineligible to race in by June 2015?

dpelt73

Quote from: Zaph on December 15, 2014, 06:53:34 AM
Why would the Shoei be  ineligible to race in by June 2015?

The manufacture date was June 2010. 
Danny #73 FL

Zaph

Oh, I didn't realize they were that picky.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Zaph on December 15, 2014, 10:03:16 AM
Oh, I didn't realize they were that picky.

ccs AND wera require 5 year or newer helmets.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

roadracer162

...and that's. It picky, that's smart. A concussion is nothing to take lightly. One pilot friend from a few years back, crashed while racing and was unconscious for almost 15 minutes. No notable injury otherwise but with that he was grounded for at least two years. Even after receiving clearance to fly he still had trouble with memory issues for the day to day tasks. He used a lot of sticky notes. Gino, you probably know him.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.