S1000RR - will this count as safety wiring the oil filter?

Started by joshtampa, February 23, 2014, 02:52:07 PM

joshtampa

I'm about to do my first race at Roebling Road in a few weeks, and I wanted to see if this method of securing the oil filter would work. There's a protrusion on the case, so I pushed a hose clamp up to that protrusion and confirmed that the filter will not move. Do I also have to put safety wire somewhere?

Doublea

I don't think jamming that hoseclamp in there will fly, but fortunately you have a built-for-safetywire oil filter! There is a cross-drilled hole in the hex head, thread some lockwire through there and give her a good tightening wrap. I usually use the headers as a tie-down point, never causes much trouble at tech.
CCS # 37

roadracer162

The answer would be No, since there is no safety wire involved. Although this method will likely work there is no way the tech guys can check if it will. What they do instead is check the taughtness of the safety wire much like a guitar string. If safety wire is not taught, the losse safety wire would allow the filter to spin even if it is slightly.

Bottom line, safety wire it.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Eric Kelcher

There would be a tech inspector call. To avoid gray area of possible acceptance one weekend and not another, use safety wore either to the hose clamp or to the safety wire hole in filter.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

joshtampa

Thanks, Eric. I was under the impression it wasn't kosher to use the filter's lug. I thought you had to use a hose clamp.

I'll figure out a solution that uses safety wire and be sure to bring the pliers and wire to the race in case it doesn't pass.

Josh

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: joshtampa on March 01, 2014, 07:16:23 AM
Thanks, Eric. I was under the impression it wasn't kosher to use the filter's lug. I thought you had to use a hose clamp.

I'll figure out a solution that uses safety wire and be sure to bring the pliers and wire to the race in case it doesn't pass.

Josh
Josh I have heard about an organization not allowing the race ready safety wire hole in oil filters. What I have heard is that rider used the nut to tighten the filter on and broke nut loose so it would not hold filter in place resulting in safety wire but not being allowed.
Our riders are smarter than that and install filter to proper torque not breaking welds so not an issue. 😇
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

IFMracing

Quote from: joshtampa on March 01, 2014, 07:16:23 AM

Josh

You will want to bring the wire and pliers anyway.  Always a good thing to have with you.
GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing