News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Factory Effex numbers?

Started by MarkMarine, May 05, 2013, 10:46:27 PM

truckstop

I'd think the bigger issue with those numbers is that they're smushed together. You need space around each individual number or it can get hard to read.

The actual size is less important than legibility, but you have plenty of real estate to work with there. Plenty of small vinyl cutting shops around who are familiar with the rules that will cut you custom numbers.

roadracer162

Separation of numbers is an important subject. Are mine legible? They do not fit the letter of the law(in this case rule). They are 5" tall and 4" wide with the number plate another 1" surrounding it. On the side they are the same numbers but the border is a little smaller.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MarkMarine

Those factory effects numbers have the exact height, seperation, and the right border amount from the rule book. I think it follows the rules better than my R1, and I never caught any grief for that, but it was all black. I'm concerned any grief I get will be from old school guys thinking I'm trying to "pretend" to be an expert, where really I'm just not trying to pay for another paint job, or ruin the one that is on there.

roadracer162

Mark I really think you will be fine, but don't take any opinion here as the ruling. Those numbers and graphics are much more professional than my stuff that I have done.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Burt Munro

Truckstop has it right.
The key issue is how legible your numbers are. But please remember that how legible they are when you're admiring your bike sitting on a stand from 4' away is a world of difference from how easy they are to read when your on the track and at speed.  Most Starting/Scoring locations are positioned on one of the faster portions of the track. The people who need to be able to read your number plate each time you cross the finish line only have an instant to decipher what number bike just flew past them. They don't have time to try and sort out whether the number on the bike was a 1 or a 7 or whether they read that 6 as an 8 or 9 when you have a pack of 4 or 5 bikes flash, all within feet of one another.

This past weekend I was the Starter for the CCS/ASRA races at Topeka. Yes, we have electronic scoring units. They are wonderful when things work correctly. Unfortunately, they don't help out for other important issues. The Starter needs to be able to identify which bike is which from quite a distance in order to know when bikes are getting lapped. It's not good for anyone when he fails to get the correct flag displayed. This is especially critical at the end of the race for the checkered flag. Doesn't matter if you're in first or last place. When the leaders start lapping bikes it gets to be a real challenge which bike should be the first one to get the Checker. Once you put the Checker out there's no taking it back. Put it out for the last bike on the lead lap by mistake, you just cost that guy a lap.

I can't tell you how many bikes we had this past weekend that were a nightmare to try and decipher - either from numbers that were too small or because they weren't spaced far enough apart or because the serifs weren't cut off of the 1's and they looked like 7's or they had some stylish font that was just hard to read.

Corner workers need to be able to read your numbers too. You could have something falling off your bike and you need to be Black flagged or Meatballed. You don't want to be pulled off the track erroneously because they couldn't read your number.

Please, just make sure your numbers are functional. Cool looking number plates will get you style points at a bike show or to impress your friends. But they don't cut it when it comes to real racing.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

MarkMarine

Ok thanks for your feedback.

Factory Effex

Just to reiterate the fact of the matter, our custom number plates are that indeed, "custom." You are able to define and choose the proper number spacing, number size, number font, number orientation, and background size. You can acheive this and still have them look "cool," as well as professional, FOR RACING!

Below are a few important differences to note, between our number plate kits, and off-the-shelf individual numbers (which we also offer):

> Custom made to your specifications
> Durability / Thickness - 16 mil with protective laminate
> Scratch and water resistant with UV stable ink (same materials used for our leading MX products)
> Pre-printed and pre-aligned - Never worry about if they are straight or level again
> Receive 4 Sets - Allows for spares
> Any number size you need is available (individual #'s only have select sizes)

truckstop

Quote from: Factory Effex on May 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
Just to reiterate the fact of the matter, our custom number plates are that indeed, "custom."

i missed the part where the size a spacing can be adjusted, and the higher level of customization. just looked at the picture and thought the format was basically the same (all the examples show the numbers smushed together). cool that you offer the options. :thumb:

MarkMarine - putting a sheet of yellow vinyl over the white paint shouldn't hurt the paint that's on it, unless it was a crappy paint job to begin with. I'm a perennial amateur but have always painted my bikes with white plates, and covered that with yellow because it's easier to just pull the yellow off.

LWT Racer

I have FX numbers and have had no issues with tech.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Swiest on May 28, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
I have FX numbers and have had no issues with tech.

But tech can vary region to region and even track to track. Had a tech guy (wasnt burt) at gateway in 03 told me my throttle "doesnt close fast enough" even though the rules state only self closing. Nothing about how fast.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

MarkMarine

The FX numbers are pretty legal, I use them. Just get the proper spacing and border per the rulebook, I run LRRS so it's 6" numbers, 1/2" spacing and 1/2" border of (white or yellow, depending) and if I ran a CCS I'd get the 8" ones. An aside, they are bad ass, I get tons of compliments, and the guys at FX are great. They are even custom making me my team logo stickers and other livery for the bike, for really really cheap.  Can't say enough good things about them.