News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

question about brake pads

Started by jgf, May 03, 2003, 06:26:10 AM

jgf

well at a nesba event 2 weeks ago i felt like my brakes where going off, so i changed the pads last night. question is, there was a good chunk of meat left on the pads i took off, so is this a glazing thing? im bleeding the brakes today and the rotors look fine i just think its weird that it would feel that way and yet have so much left? any thoughts?

bfkidd

jgf

96 gsrxr 750 with braided lines

DanO966

Jim,

Don't worry about the brakes....who needs brakes? ;)
I'd go with PF pads on your gixxer.  Tho I've heard that alot of people like the Vesrah RJ pads tho.  I've never really used them before so I don't have any input on those.  
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

sdiver68

Bleed the lines as you are doing...

Even though there is a lot of pad left, a thinner pad will not dissipate heat as well.  Thus, they heat up and get soft faster.

Glazing happens when you don't break in a pad that needs a break in...going off in the middle of a session is not typically a glazing problem.  The Vesrah Super RJL's have a ceramic backing to help dissipate heat, although they are expensive.  I run the Normal RJ pads and love the no break in...but I have yet to find a pad that does not go off some during a longer race.
MCRA Race School Instructor

shook1

Use the Vesrah pads....they are awesome

I'm not familiar with your bike, but many bikes have an extra piece of metal behind the calipers that is designed to keep heat in the pads for street use.  Everyone discards this metal piece when racing to prevent overheating and fade.  If it is still on there, get rid of it.

I also suggest using a brake bleeder when bleeding your brakes.  This will make sure that there is not any air left in the lines.

Good Luck ;D

jgf

dano, how soon we forget you sold me the vesrah's back in feb/march when ever it was! lol i got the rj's in there now and have bled the brakes, ill report back on how i like them (oh yeah i use one of those might vax pumps to bleed the brakes, makes quick work of it)

DanO966

Quotedano, how soon we forget you sold me the vesrah's back in feb/march when ever it was! lol i got the rj's in there now and have bled the brakes, ill report back on how i like them (oh yeah i use one of those might vax pumps to bleed the brakes, makes quick work of it)

Oh ya I knew I sold some vesrah pads to someone...lol ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

jgf

QuoteGlazing happens when you don't break in a pad that needs a break in...going off in the middle of a session is not typically a glazing problem. .

how and what brake pads need a break in??