News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Disability insurance for racers?

Started by racer865, May 02, 2003, 06:32:10 AM

racer865

Does anyone know of an insurance co. that will cover racers for disability? I have good medical coverage and good life ins. but if I crash and disfigure or maim myself I stand to lose everything. I had a disability policy but found out it would not cover me if I crashed while competing in an organized motorsports event. I am racing at Jennings this weekend but if I can't find coverage this will be my last race. I can deal with possibly ruining my own life but not my wife and childs future. Hope someone knows something because I don't want to give up racing.

spyderchick

You will need to check out supplemental policies in your state. It is true that you need to be careful as many have clauses against "extreme" sports, and many specifically mention motorsports as a class. I'm sure if you shop around, you will find something. problem is, it could be costly. Good luck.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

My disability through work will cover me, but forget trying to get any type of disability OUTSIDE of your employment.  

I went this round a few years back with my financial analyst who hit up at least 20 companies who wouldn't touch me.  Almost all of them had SPECIFIC MOTORCYCLE EXCLUSIONS.  Street/race/whatever, they wouldn't cover me...

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

charliev

Good idea. I carried it for 30 years of motocross. (paid off many times)  just started road racing myself so i need to look into it also. New york life was one i carried cannt remember the other but price was only 99 dollars for 6 monthswhen i dropped it bout 5 years ago. Wife will remember so when she gets home from work. Hope to be going to jennings this weekend so maybe see you there.  am #881 formula 40, gtu, and mws.