Longer Races

Started by TAlber8, November 18, 2012, 07:42:04 PM

roadracer162

Combining the GT races may work. But what about the guys that run both class on their 600?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

SV88

Very few run GTO and GTU.  I and maybe one or two others in the MW do this.  I would sacrifice to get one AMA length race a weekend.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

roadracer162

Not so in the Florida region. I don't know how much leeway each region has in changing the length of races.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

Quote from: Burt Munro on November 21, 2012, 09:00:01 AM
GT races are 25 min long with the clock starting when the 5 board goes up.
Wow...so that's even shortened up. 
Super Dave

TAlber8

Yes, there is TC a few rounds, but the point is, everyone spends a lot in travel cost.  I want to spend less time in the pits and more time riding... I'm already there!.  5 lap races just isn't getting me as motivated to drive, especially far.

Think about how short a 5 lap race really is... Getting your suit on, Warmers off, warm up lap, grid, cool down lap.... All takes as much time as the race itself! 

If you are in favor of shorter races, is it because you don't want to ride that long, or you don't want to sacrifice other classes, fees, etc, to make that happen?

If you talk to track-day guys, their jaw drops when you tell them how short races are.  That's racings big competition that we need to attract.  Track days are full, we just need them to grid up.

roadracer162

I guess it really depends on what region you are in. For the Florida region we seem to get more ride time for the money as compared to a track day. Our GT races are 9 laps not timed and our sprint races are 6 laps. All this works into the practice all day Saturday and Sunday race day. With all the races on one day makes for a hectic schedule at times. Some doing 9-10 races in one day. But, with that it would only be 60 laps. Price? Our Saturday practice gives the new guy or the guy trying to develop a machine time to get some things sorted. At $100 for the day it seems to be a bargain with 6-7 sessions of about 15 minutes. Sunday there is a morning warm up and then a full day of racing. There has only been one weekend that it has ever gone over to a Monday to finish races and that was a monsoon day. So my total of $265 registration and practice just got me up to 11 sessions of riding. The track days in these parts are mostly priced in the $180-$200 range. So for me the racing is a pretty good deal. Plus there is a little more incentive with the insurance that CCS Florida provides.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

banzai1

I liked the 50 mile GT races. Unfortunately, that was ten years  (or more) ago.